New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 249 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a ride thru GARRET MOUNTAIN, just outside of PATERSON, just off RT. 80 with my friend. We saw 12 plus deer, all of good size, one was a buck he still had a half side antler a long spike. Man wish this park was open to hunting at least with the bow, 10 minutes from my house.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i drive on rt80 everyday and i always see deer on the east bound side in Paterson on that hill. i did see a BIG buck on there a couple of times.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I live jus t blocks from there and I see deer dtanding in the street on my way hunting and on the lawns when I come home. It would be alot easier if they opened it up.:)

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I was at the Great Notch Inn one night when I saw the biggest 10 pt buck chasing a doe through the parking lot.Man was he a brute.He was hit by a car a week later on Riflecamp rd.I've heard stories of a couple of guys from the sheriffs dept. jacking deer in Riflecamp park.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Saw 18 deer altogether just relaxing this afternoon, some of them where nice size. Wish this area was open for bow hunting

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
I drive thru Garrett Mountain and Rifle camp Park 2-3 days a week. Yesterday I went mountain biking in the snow at Garrett Mountain and saw 75 Deer. 3 where Bucks with antlers still on. In the fall I saw 3 PY bucks. The largest was a 10 pt that would score 160Plus. Great place to drive around if you want to see Deer. Bring some apples and they will come right up to your car.I also live 10 minutes away and wish they would open it up to Bow Hunting!!!Maybe someday????

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jrhunt, where you from?

I went up there today for my 2 mile walk, saw only 1 deer near the entrace feeding, but I did see 2 really nice rubs.

·
Registered
577 Posts
There were 2 dead on the east bound side of 80 last week. 30 yards apart from each other. I counted around 20 dead deer from exit 58 to exit 42 on rt 80 during the flood week.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Last time I was at Garret Mountain there were no deer up there. It was a parking place if you know what I mean. I must be getting old.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I have a great picture of a real nice 8 pointer, that I took on the way to work one evening, standing on the side of rt. 46, behind the Great Notch Inn. But I can't figure out how to post it. HELP!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bowhuntercop, I live in Rutherford. I do alot of hiking and Mountain biking in Garrett Mountain and Rifle camp park with my Daughter. I drive a silver GMC Canyon with Deer stickers and UBNJ liscence Plates. You have probably seen me there.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Here is the picture I took of the buck I saw right on the side of rt. 46, near the Great Notch Inn. This picture was taken in early Oct. there were 4 does right in front of this buck, that he wouldn't leave.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats a good looking buck, that lives within 10 minutes of me, wish they would allow bow hunting there, but that will never happen

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Saw no deer up there over the weekend, too many people enjoying the weather. Today I saw one near the stables laying down. When I drove out of the park on my way to RT. 80, across from Berkley College there is a small field, there where 2 deer there, I slowed downed and it was a buck, I could see the top of his had bumps, the other one I couldn't tell what it was.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
people DO bowhunt it..TRUST ME. ive heard people talk about how they live next to it and hunt it. also the cops hunt it. im sure of that for a fact.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Officer don't hunt it anymore, the old Sheriff didn't care if you were his boy, But Sheriff Spizele will not allow it. I was up there this morning around 6:30am, saw 3 deer a lady was feeding them, one was a buck I also saw his head with the numbs starting, he had a broken rear leg, she said he's an 8 pointer, I told her that his antler will grow differntly then in years past cause of his injury, she said that what the Vet at the horse stables told her, other then that he looked really healthy

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
i know that lady. she knows every deer up there. skinny and tall , good looking girl. she told me, along with a few other people i know, that an 8 and a 9 were fighting and one got whipped because he was previously shot, had an arrow in his leg.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah shes good looking !!!! I took my friend Sammy up there around 7:15pm tonight, near the stables 8 deer came out to feed, never nervous with the people around. People do hunt it, its just a matter of them getting caught. She also told me, come here during the rut you will see bucks chasing the does allday along.

1 - 20 of 249 Posts