New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the Moultrie 30 gallon/200 lbs. E-Z Fill Feeder. The install was very simple and we filled it to the brim with 200 lbs. of corn. As an fyi for those looking at feeders or those that own them and want to know how long their supply will last, the feeder came with this rough estimate calculation. It may or may not be the same with different brands, but I thought I would post this to help others like myself out that are new to feeders.

RUN TIME(secs.) 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20
Approx. feed dispensed(lbs.).75 1 1.5 2 2.5 3 3.5 4 4.5

I opted to go with two feeds per day at 7:00 am and 6:00 pm to start. My run time is currently 6 seconds per feed. Based upon that, the feeder will kick out 2 lbs. of corn each day. The 200 lbs. in the feeder will last me 100 days! I felt as a newbie to game feeders, this is good information.

If anyone else has any calculations or helpful hints like this for feeders, please post them up. How many people supplement their corn feeder with apples or anything else?

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
I have a Moultrie 6.5 gallon feeder that holds 40 lbs. I have it set at 6 seconds twice a day for feeding. The 40 lbs is gone in about 10 days. So that's about 4 lbs a day at 2 lbs in 6 seconds. Their calculations may be a bit off.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I setup that exact feeder last year and kept records on actual physical feed rates. For what it's worth, I never shot a deer at the feeder; all my kills were on trails.

Here's my notes:

FEEDER NOTES:
10 second setting, three times a day uses precisely 1-1/2 pails of corn a week. Feeder holds 7 pails. 1-3/4 pails per week will last one month. Probably set at 13 seconds. Reset to 12/12 &15 seconds on 10/31/08 during rut which increases flow 17% or to 1-3/4 pails per week, 7 pails per month.

Set to go off at 9:00am, 10:00am and 2:00pm ... figuring this might get them coming in later in the day so they don’t bust you trying to get into the stand ... and it might keep them from coming in at night. (Changed to 7:30am, 8:00am & 8:30am on 11/21/08; 9:00am deal didn’t seem to work)

2009 ... Set up feeder on 7-25-09 and started running once a day @ 10 seconds. This will last until the season starts 9/12/09 at which time I will increase flow.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iron...are you talking about my E-Z fill or the one MTH uses?

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
The only other variable is the squirrels and racoons, which can drain the feeder alot quicker than that.
Mine has a squirrel cage, and is suspended by a steel braided cable about 20' in the air-no way a squirrel is affecting the flow of feed. The spin motor just puts out about 2 lbs of feed in 6 seconds. That's the lowest setting on the feeder.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
i calulated the flow by testing it i hung it at waist level hit the test button put a large garbage bag around it and tried different lengths of time and weighed the bag contents till i got 1.5 lbs it was 6 seconds for me. try it till you get the desired amount and try longer and shorter for future refernce

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
the one on the farm sets out 1 lb x2 day but the battery wont last with the amoutn of corn gotta keep swapping batteries out.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
buy a rechargeable battery and a moultrie 6 volt solar panel and save some money dude

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All very good points and helpful hints. Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Scottyserve23,

Squirrels, Racoon and even turkeys will raid the feeder and reduce the time the corn lasts to about 1/2 you calculation.

:(

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I plan to go back and scout the area a little more on Sunday with my cousin, so I'll check up on the feeder after a week and see what kind of action has taken place. I was told with varmits to rub some vaseline up the poles to reduce the number of animals trying to get in there to take my corn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts