New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who uses them and do you think they're worth it. I have a place that I am going to be hunting and if I get a deer it's going to be a long drag. How about those deer sleds,anyone use them?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
By the time you go back to the truck, get the deer cart and bring it back, you could have dragged the deer home.

Just use the tree strap of your safety harness. Wear the harness as usual, and strap the tree strap around the neck, or the antlers if you are lucky enough to have them on your deer.;) This keeps the head up and makes for an easy drag.

Of course if its a real mule, pretend you were so excited that you jumped out of your treestand and hurt your back and legs after you shot it. Thereby convincing your hunting partner to drag it for you. They'll be busy dragging, so offer to hold their bow and use it as a makeshift crutch (this adds realism to the fake injuries), carry your own bow, do you know how much damage using a bow as a crutch could do? Make sure you promise that you will surely drag their deer if this should ever happen to them. Thanking them repeatedly till you reach the truck.;):D

B

·
0 Posts
We have used both. Last year it was good to take all of our gear up the long hill we walk, wished we had it when I took my bear. The sled was good, we used a plastic snow sled, it was ok just that the deer would roll out, but still easier then draggin

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Dbuck,

I'm in the same situation as you are, plus I feel like I'm really out of shape as well. I have a 300 - 400 yard walk in to where I've been hunting. It takes about 10 minutes to walk an easy trail in to my spot, and it's slightly downhill. After taking my small button buck out this past Saturday, I bought a game cart for ~ $60 at Sportsman's Center.

David

·
Registered
446 Posts
with they deer im seeing pictured here ill just palm there head and carry them out like a basketball please!

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I use a cart to carry goose decoys into the fields we can't drive in & switch to a sled when snow covered. They are GREAT! Wouldn't go hunting without it!!!!

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I love my deer sled, I bring my cart in the fall in case I get a biggie. I have dragged some out and my shoulder joints aren't what they used to be. I don't take chances on missing work because of being too lazy to walk back and getting the cart. In the winter I load stand, back pack and gun on to my deer sled and it beats me down the trail. But oh what a difference dragging everything back up at once , including the deer.. I used to have to make 2 trips.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
i would imagine that they make it alot easier.
we used a plastic snow sled, it was ok just that the deer would roll out, but still easier then draggin
thats a good idea for hunting in the snow.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
By the time you go back to the truck, get the deer cart and bring it back, you could have dragged the deer home.

Just use the tree strap of your safety harness. Wear the harness as usual, and strap the tree strap around the neck, or the antlers if you are lucky enough to have them on your deer. This keeps the head up and makes for an easy drag.

Of course if its a real mule, pretend you were so excited that you jumped out of your treestand and hurt your back and legs after you shot it. Thereby convincing your hunting partner to drag it for you. They'll be busy dragging, so offer to hold their bow and use it as a makeshift crutch (this adds realism to the fake injuries), carry your own bow, do you know how much damage using a bow as a crutch could do? Make sure you promise that you will surely drag their deer if this should ever happen to them. Thanking them repeatedly till you reach the truck.
Matty, seems like a great thought out plan. I do something similar with fishing. when I get done fishing with friends or pop, just when its time to start cleaning/filleting, my gangling cyst and tendonitus in my wrist really start to act up. Its agonizing I tell ya. I mean I would gladly help but the pain is to unbearable. I, Like Matty appologize and thank them profusly. I'm such a great sport I even offer to get them beers. :D

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I purchased one of those carts this year mainly for bear. The one I have suposedly can handle 450lbs. I got it from Sportsman' Guide. I got one catalog and it was $125 amonth later I got another catalog and it was $99 then I got a third catalog and it was $69. Then I bought it. Maybe they are giving them away for free by now.

Another way I plan on using it is to chain it to a tree deep in the woods. This for those places where you cannot park with in a few miles of a hunting spot.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I HAVE USED A GAME CART FOR A FEW YEARS NOW AND I NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT. THE DAYS OF DRAGING A DEER OUT ARE OVER, I WOULD TEAR MYSELF UP DRAGING A DEER OUT BY MYSELF IN THE DARK. A CART CAN HAUL IN STANDS,BAIT,DECOYS,BLINDS,CAMPING EQP,ECT. I CHAIN IT UP IN MY TRUCK. AFTER I STICK A DEER I WALK BACK TO MY TRUCK AND GET THE CART AND TRACKING EQP ,I RETURN TO FIRST BLOOD AND LEAVE THE CART UNTIL I FIND THE DEER, IF YOU DONT WANT TO LEAVE A GUT PILE HAUL IT OUT WHOLE. :)

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I would get one, but where I normally hunt there are open fields that we drive into. We only have to drag to the edge of the field and then drive to the deer. I do have a sled but have never brought it with. I seem to always forget it.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Of course if its a real mule, pretend you were so excited that you jumped out of your treestand and hurt your back and legs after you shot it. Thereby convincing your hunting partner to drag it for you. They'll be busy dragging, so offer to hold their bow and use it as a makeshift crutch (this adds realism to the fake injuries), carry your own bow, do you know how much damage using a bow as a crutch could do? Make sure you promise that you will surely drag their deer if this should ever happen to them. Thanking them repeatedly till you reach the truck.
Matty - STOP GIVING UP MY TRADE SECRETS!!!:D:D:D

The idea of using the treestand safety strap works well, but the deer sled and cart are a lot easier to use.

I'm buying a cart this year for a new property that I am gonna hunt, otherwise dragging the deer a few feet to the truck after I drive out to it is the best method, yet!!! [smirk]:p[up]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I dont know how many of you guys actually own and use the cart, but we have a cart, and we have NEVER used it.

Cant leave it in the truck, because some wonderful person will take it home with them. Cant drag it into the woods everytime, because it is one more thing to bring...Already bring one thing too many.
Some of the areas that we hunt are so rocky, that Im betting youd break a leg trying to get that cart through, and if you did, it would probably have bent wheels, and the deer would be gone. SO it just stays in the basement at my uncles house...makes a cool toy for the kids though!:D

The only thing I could see using it for, was a BIG BEAR.

Anything else, Im dragging it....Its usually not that hard. If you use a carrabeener (sp?) you can take turns with your hunting/tracking partner if the drag is real tough. Just unclip your safety harness from the "neck strap" and hook up your buddys harness. Also, just take breaks if the dragging is FAR and ROUGH. No need to kill yourself.

Of course, if you want a cart, by all means buy it, but just think about those things I mentioned. I mean, we honestly NEVER have used the game cart we have. Probably never will....more hassle then help imo. (Just trying to save you guys some cash)

Now a roll up sled might do the trick. At least you can bring that with you everytime without much weight, noise, or bulk. Just secure the deer, and hook it up to the safety harness as I mentioned before. Not only will it make the drag easier (less friction), but it will save the hide! Now thats an IDEA that I may look into!!!![up]

Good luck this year, and hopefully we all get to try out some of these dragging methods a few times.;)

·
Registered
876 Posts
I use one and it comes in quite handy.

I hunt a spot that I have to walk literally a mile and a half up and down a hill to get to. The first year I hunted it, I shot a buck weighing about 140 lbs at 6:30pm. I wasn't out of the woods until 1:00 AM.

That weekend I purchased a deer cart. Now it takes me about an hour and change to get deer out of the same spot.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont know how many of you guys actually own and use the cart, but we have a cart, and we have NEVER used it.
Matty ya wanna sell it?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i use a tree lounge climbing stand with the wheels sometimes so my carrier is with me. when i dont use the tree lounge i have a small deer cart that the wheels have a pin that pulls out and the whole cart will fit behind the seat of a pickup. when i arrow a deer i like to wait a while before looking so the walk back to the truck is time to reflect on the shot and get rid of my gear and change cloths and get a drink. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005601223606a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D:hasJS=+&QueryText=game+cart&Go.x=20&Go.y=10&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.22&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=game+cart&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 21 Posts