New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't say this angry enough. I HATE EAB!!!!!!! [mad][mad][mad][mad][mad]

I took a 1/2 day off today to do some hunting. I haven't gotten my doe for permit bow yet so you know what I'm looking for. At 7:15am I see a doe but can't get a shot due to: 1) too far off 25+ yds and 2) no clean shots. I figure it's early and the deer should be moving so I'm ok. At 8:25am I hear a twig break back and to my right. I slowly look and there's a nice buck. I figure since I can't shoot him, I may as well play and grunt him in. He gets to within 15 yds from my stand and gives me a perfect broadside opportunity. And the kicker to this is he's even bigger than my 8 pointer I got during fall bow. He was at least a solid 8pt with a thick body, and huge neck.

OF COURSE I CAN'T LEGALLY SHOOT HIM!!!!!!!!!!

I managed to take a pic with my cell phone. Since it's from the cell phone, it didn't come out real good, but I'll upload it and post it anyway.

This sucks!!!!!!
David

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BHC,
I knew he was there from the scrapes and couple rubs I've seen. I'm hoping he'll stick around. Now if I can only get a doe. Hmmm....

David

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I know the feeling, Last year I had 11 bucks in one day come by me. And never seen a doe. All the bucks were over the 3" to up to a few respectable 8's. No shortage of bucks near me but does are far and few between. I have a better chance of shooting a BB or a small spike than ever seeing a doe. Although I managed one opening day. Not to drag this out butlast year during permit doe a drive went threw and there were about 7-8 deer running. One was put down a BB. No does. Everyone was surprised, even me and I'm just an onlooker hoping one comes my way. The bad part is that when a couple 6's ran up and over the mountain there were some shots. We all just hoped they were shooting at something other than those bucks.[sad]

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sympatico....last year the only 2 times I could have drawn were both on bucks but didn't have my doe. It's tough when your hunting times are limited due to work obligations.

I have a couple of days off next week and I'm in the same boat....hope to get the doe out of the way before another buck walks under my stand.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I can certainly sympathize. Been there too. I never had an 8-pointer walk by without a buck tag but I did have 4, 5, & 6 pointers under the same circumstance. It is frustrating. I had passed on a fawn on each of the first 2 weeks of the 2003 bow season and seen bucks for 6 consecutive weeks (hunt Saturdays only). I never did manage to get a shot at an antlerless deer afterward. I do not regret it. At least you have already harvested an 8-pointer. More than what most of us can say. The way I see it is that when someone asks you how you took the deer that is mounted and hanging on your wall you know you accomplished the goal in a fair manner and that you did not CHEAT. Fair case. I simply wouldn’t feel right knowing that I didn’t harvest the buck within the legal hunting laws that have been set. Besides, if you did have a buck tag he wouldn’t have been there.:)

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
story of my last two seasons, last year had perfect shots on atleast nine diff bucks, not one shot on a doe all year. this year is the same, couple of bucks around....no does!!!!! this earn a buck crap is getting old. by the time the state changes it, it will be too late. anyone remember when you could shoot two bucks for each season and no does? yeah that went on for too long as well which is why eab started,,thank you nj state wildlife managers

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
The way it was explained to me by a CO is, The reason for this EAB crap is to have hunters shoot a doe first then a buck thus killing 2 deer. If it wasn't required the hunter would just shoot his buck and be satisfied for the season. To me it would make more sense that if you want to lessen the herd than let the hunters shoot a deer when given an opportunity. By passing on all these deer is not helping the over population so to speak. Heck if I shoot a buck first I'll still be out there looking for another deer for the freezer.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i had this problem last weekend. i saw 1 doe in the morning but it was to far. in the afternoon i had 3 different bucks under my stand and i just had to watch them.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For those who might not have seen my first buck here he is:

And while this pic doesn't do him any justice, this buck is BIGGER than the above one:

I'm sorry the pic is so crappy, but it was taken from my cell... the only digital camera I have.

David

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Quit yer whinin!:p:p:D

Go get that doe out of the way, and Im sure you could get him. If you cant, maybe he will make it to next year and be that much bigger when he presents that nice shot!;)[up]

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Part of instituting Earn a Buck was to appease the Slobgun Hunters complaints that all the bucks get shot buy Bowhunters. This is a FACT.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts