New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
State Identifies Potential Threat From Mitten Crabs
Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - Millennium Radio

New Jersey's Division of Fish and Wildlife is asking for the help of those who catch crabs in identifying and singling out so-called, "Mitten Crabs", which are showing up from Asia in increasing numbers.

Division Biologist Linda Barry says the Chinese Crabs have made their way here in water discharged from the ballast tanks of Chinese ships. She says they borrow into the banks of rivers and other waterways and can gather in sufficient numbers to clog intakes and filters. Barry says at this point they have seen enough of these Crabs showing up in New Jersey waters that they are still asking people not to release them back into the water alive.

She says if you catch a Mitten Crab you should call the Nacote Creek Marine Fisheries Office at 609 748 2020 and tell them about it.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
good post

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Can you eat em?

·
Registered
21,477 Posts

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
I used to catch a few here and there years ago in N.Wilwood under the rocks at low tide. I released them back though.....right on my hook cut in quarters for tog bait.:D

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its not bad enough asia is killing our country with all the imported crap with lead and everything else , but now they are bringing their critters over too. lol

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
what they did not tell you that i will is that they are killing off our blue crabs and i mean it's looking bad and one shot if it was a few years ago they were more then likely green crabs under the rocks they kinda look a like the mitten crab is much biger

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.