New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive only used Blackhorn 209 (80 grains) with Hornady sst 250 grain sabots In my TC Triumph. All was great and every deer died but I wanted to try pellets becaues it looks simple and Blackhorn is not sold in NJ. Well I sighted in with two White Hot pellets and same bullets and I was surprised at how much crap was in my barrel after each shot. Also, enough smoke to block view after shot. Blackhorn was cleaner and almost no smoke and very consistant. After plenty of shots and I cleaned barrel after each shot, I sighting in the White Hots. Not bad, I have a 2" group at 100 yards off of sand bags. Ill hunt this way for the season then decide if ill go back to Blackhorn.
What type of pellets or powder do you guys like?

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Ive only used Blackhorn 209 (80 grains) with Hornady sst 250 grain sabots In my TC Triumph. All was great and every deer died but I wanted to try pellets becaues it looks simple and Blackhorn is not sold in NJ. Well I sighted in with two White Hot pellets and same bullets and I was surprised at how much crap was in my barrel after each shot. Also, enough smoke to block view after shot. Blackhorn was cleaner and almost no smoke and very consistant. After plenty of shots and I cleaned barrel after each shot, I sighting in the White Hots. Not bad, I have a 2" group at 100 yards off of sand bags. Ill hunt this way for the season then decide if ill go back to Blackhorn.
What type of pellets or powder do you guys like?
Yep. I'm planning on switching from White Hots to Blackhorn 209 once I find it. I have found over the years that White Hots are very susceptible to moisture. Be very careful if you use it and either hunt in the rain or leave it in the barrel. I have had issues with it and moisture. I would stick with the Blackhorn or I heard that MZ powder is good as well.

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
what do you guys use to keet moisture out of barrel in rain or snow ?

Seran wrap and a rubber band.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I also use white hots, and even though there is some "noticeable" residue in the barrel after each shot, but I used to use 777 pellets and if I sneezed on the barrel the powder wouldn't ignite from the slightest moisture. The white have actually surprised me on how much moisture they can obsorb and still ignite.

The reason I do not use loose powder is because, "for me", if I miss a shot and have to hurry and try and reload quickly, 90% of the time I wind up spilling 5-10 grains of powder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.