New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it has been an interesting season for me. I took a pig tom in the first week of the season and have gone out every week for at least three days a week since then. I had passed on some Jakes hoping to get a long beard in range and I did have some close encounters but could not close the deal. This morning I had a couple of long beards gobbling several times on the roost. I guessed they were 100 to 150 yards away from me. I just did some soft calling but they hit the ground and just shut up by 6:00 a.m. I sat without hearing anything more until 7:30 when I heard a gobble from directly behind my set up location. I did some soft yellping and he started in my direction gobbling all the way. When I finally spotted him I realized he was a lone jake looking for love. I decided that if he came right to me I would take him. After all they all taste the same don't they. At fifteen yards he realized he made a "jake mistake" when I rolled him. At the check station he came in at 16lbs. with a 4" beard and 1/2" spurs. A really nice Jake. Now that I have taken my second bird of this season I plan on once again controlling myself and holding out for another Long Beard later this week or next. All in all if was a fun day and southern fried turkey breast is on the menu for this week!:D

·
Registered
17,065 Posts
Greg, Congrats, nice size jake and story. Enjoy those southern fried breasts. :D

·
Banned
26 Posts
Great job !!!! I talked to Chris a little while ago i heard one this morning gobbleing his head off where He shot his opening day lastyear i think we r gonna hit it tomorrow morning and hopefully me or him will seel the deal for the second one of the season!!!!! If u wanna come and video

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Love to Bill but have to work tomorrow morning. I will get out again Wednesday and Thursday. Those birds at that spot should be fired up an ready by now. I am sure you guys will score. Hopefully you will roll a double of LB'S! Good luck and send phone photos when you do![up]:D

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Congratulations Greg [up]

The way these birds have been this year, a bird is a bird and a trophy at that :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.