New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in my stand at 3 p.m. and had a doe and buck go by within 15 minutes of settling in. They were about 50 yards away and never came up to me. I then had a 3 pointer come by my stand and hang around for about 40 minutes. Let him walk, looking for a bigger one. At about 5 p.m. had a really nice 6 pointer come in and i decided i would take this deer since it is the biggest one i have seen on this property so far. Took a 20 yard shot and didn't see the arrow hit but just knew i made a decent shot. Watched the deer run away and heard a crash. He is down. Waited about 25 minutes and went over to my arrow. Blood on the arrow and a nice blood trail. Followed it for about 60 yards and it started to die out. Couldn't believe it. Searched the area until about 8 p.m. and never found it or any more blood. Only second deer i have lost and man i am really bummed. Am going out tomorrow again to look around too bad the rain is going to wash the blood trail away. Not much sleep tonite. Have been thinking about the shot all nite so far and i know it was a good one. Some heavy stickers i am going to go in tomorrow morning to look for him. I hate hitting a deer and not finding it. Especially a nice buck.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
tuna,,hopefully the rain holds out for ya. Look hard for him. He has got to be around there.

good luck

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Close but i hung a lock on about 15 yards down along the rock wall from that tree. There are rubs all over there and have been seeing all the bucks walking right down the middle of the path and they seem to walk right by my tree, most of the time. They either come from the top of the hill and down to me or they come up from the bottom along the rock wall.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that was a great choice. I see alot of deer walking along the top of the hill about half way between my tree and where i park my truck. I may put my ladder stand somewhere over there and try it once. I am going to give it a good 3 hours of searching at least tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I know how how much that stinks. I lost one last year and gathered up my buddies and searched til about 2am that mornign with no luck...and I know it was atleast a liver shot if not a lung. We searched the next two day for about a total or 10 or 12 hours and nothing. Can't sleep, can't focus...atleast that shows the heart of a true sportsman. If anyone in the northern part of the state ever feels the need for another set of eyes, post it up. I'd probably be in some woods nearby anyways and more than willing to join the search.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Good luck, hope you find it.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Sometimes you will find them within a few feet of where you stopped looking the night before. Let's hope so.
[up][up][up] On your effort [up][up][up]

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
It's probably too late now,but get some of the Luminol stuff. Even after it rains it will supposedly react with dispersed blood molecules turning a highly UV reflective blue. Luminal is the generic chemical name, they market in spray bottles for hunters, but I forget the brand name.

They use it a lot on TV shows like CSI where they find minute traces of blood at crime scenes. I realize this is only TV perhaps some of our law enforcement members could comment on this product.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Just got back from searching for my deer and could not find it. I am bummed out. Been searching from 6:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. and no where to be found. I walked through some of the thickest stuff in the area, all cut up for my efforts. I hate this happening, knowing there is a deer out there hurt or dead and can't find it. Have to go to a party this afternoon so i will be out again tomorrow morning looking.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Tuna if it helps, I doubt it will go to waste. The scavengers will eat well. You honored the animal by your hours of searching.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
It's understandable. Atleast you took the time to look. Someguys wouldn't even do that.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea i guess so, i will be back out there tomorrow morning looking again and this will be last last efforts for this deer. Hope maybe i have some luck tomorrow looking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts