New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here has met the BAD requirements? I'm still shy a doe (thanks jr);)

I'll be out tonight and tomorrow am to fill it. Got my eye on another good buck...

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I assume he means Bank A doe......in which case I banked one for permit, but that doesnt mean squat.

Now I gotta get a big ol bruiser in range.

LOVE the bank a doe though....best thing since sliced bread![up][up]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Havent heard anything yet. I wouldnt call it MY bruiser either, Dave2122 was the first to ever see that deer. I just call it "my" bruiser when Dave isnt around!!!:D

Im sure its probably dead though. That buck was starting to become very well known in that area. A few people started seeing it, and word started to spread about a possible record. Im sure some &*[email protected]&#*(#&@ poached it.

Its ashame, because Dave saw the thing three years ago and it was probably a 3.5 year old buck. He was huge then. Dave saw him this year and said you will fall out of your tree if you see this thing.

I guess no one will get to see it if it was poached.:(:([down]

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I went spotting last night to see if he was around.
I am going to assume he is gone but you never know.
I had him a 40 yards last year during the Rut for almost an hour and could never get him to come over. I remember blowing a few grunts at him and he didn't even bother to look :) When he grunted it sounded like a friggin mack truck lol!

Some of the old timers around here think they own the whole show. they totally ignore any hunting regulationms. It is the old " I've been hunting here with a rifle for the last 40 years" mentality. So they get wind of this buck and next thing you know they tresp [no swearing please] and shoot it. I am not going to frett over it any longer. If I see him great, if I don't then it was not ment to be.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
No I don't, but it isn;t for lack of trying.

I had a trail cam Matt gave me set out and all I got was does, squirells and a racoon. I wish I had a picture. I should have just taken the 40 yard shot last year, I keep kicking myself about my rule of not taking a shot over 30 yards in the woods.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
how big do you think he was?

there were 2 bruisers where i was hunting years ago. one got hit by a car and the other got poached. they got the guy too at least. but it sucks when it happens.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I have my two BAD filled. Have passed several small bucks to wait for something decent within range. Tomorrow I will be taking anything with three points one side (Zone 9). Saturday I will again wait for something with some mass.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Here is the whole story.

2 years ago Matt and his brother Greg came up on a friday night during the 1st week of the rut. Of course we get up a 1/2 hour later than we should. This puts me at my stand 1/2 later than normal. As I get to my stand I see a spike standing right next to my tree stand, he darts off. I set out my scent trail and get back to my treestand. As I am knelt down hooking my bow to my bow buddy I hear a really deep grunt and I turn to see a very large buck scoot by at 20 yards. I quickly get my bow unhooked and ready. There is a small bush a couple of feet from my tree, so as I see him cruising up the edge of the hay field about 80 yards away I let out with a huge grunt from my grunt call. He then spins right around and covers the 80 yards in about 5 seconds and is now standing 10 yards away stareing straight at the bush and me behind it. We were at a mexican standoff. My only hope was him turning and leaving to his left or right so as to present a shot. What he did next is telling of any mature buck, he turned around directly where he stood and took off as fast as he arrived. In a situation like this I try not to stare directly at the buck, so I never counted points. I knew he was massive with thick main beams. His antlers were wider than his ears and rougly 16 inches above his head. That same day Matt and his brother filmed a large buck and we all thought it may be the same one until I saw the video and said
"Nope that buck is smaller than the one I saw".

Move ahead to last year and it is around the 14th of November. It is a bit windy at times but still a decent day to be in the woods. I see a bunch of does work into my area feeding and then I see a decent basket 8pt come in and chase a few of the does away. An hour later a few more does come into feed and an old grizzly looking large 6pt comes in and takes a doe for a run. 20 minutes later here comes the giant buck! He is trying to get a doe to stand for him and she wont ablige. He gets so frustrated he charges and stops and stomps both his front hooves at once. I watch him feed and stay near this doe for roughly 50 minutes. I blew a loud grunt at him 2 times to try and get him to come over and he just ignored it. I looked at this buck and got a very good idea of his size. His spread was roughly 26 inches and his anlers were 18 inches off his head. He had 10 pts last year and his bases looked to be 6 inches around. His brow tines were about 7 inches long. I would have said he was a 180 cl [no swearing please] deer last year.
This year I only saw him once around mid september and he was coming out of the park into a field that a guy puts corn out for the deer. As soon as I stopped the truck he turned and went right back into the park. He looked thicker than last year and seemed to have 2 more points at the end of his main beams which were not there last year. My friend Steve hunts the property adjacent to the land I hunt and he went up to hang a stand and called me when he got home and said Wholly $#!7 I saw that buck at 200 yards and he was enormous it looked like an friggin Elk. That was the last sighting.

So that is the story. If you believe it or not is up to you. I know seeing is believing so i don't expect anyone to believe he is that big. I can only tell you that what I have typed is the truth as I experienced it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts