New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to the property at 4 p.m. Light rain and not bad at all. Started to walk to my spot when i noticed something dark ahead of me on the main dirt road i was walking in on. Walked slowly to get a better look and as noticed it was a bear standing in the road. I stood still to see what it would do. It walked towards me and then sat down on its but and kind of sat up looking at my direction. After a couple minutes which felt like an hour it got up and walked into the woods. It was about 40 yards in front of me. Now my problem was that i had to go where the bear was siiting and wasn't sure if i should cut up the hill or walk by him. I decided to go ahead and walk by him and not disturb the woods. It was a slow walk that fealt like ti took an hour. Walking ahead and looking back the entire time. I didn't see him again so i headed to my stand and of course once i got set up it started to rain heavy. Constant rain and some wind for the entire evening. The only other animal i saw was a red fox that walked under my stand and down the path. That was it, guess rain and wind means stay home next time.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tunatales01, i spoke with a DEC biologist some time back and he told me that bear are almost blind. he said their eye sight is really poor. bears rely on their hearing and sense of smell nearly 100%. so it is more likely the bear heard you but (couldnt) see you. and he probably didnt smell you or he would surly wouldve boogied out of there. i had a similar experience 3 years ago only the bear i saw was a sow with cubs.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it was great. Any time spent in a tree is better than sitting at home even if it is raining because you never know what can happen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts