New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all... What (freshwater) knot do you use to connect braid to a mono backfill? I keep hearing the FG knot, but most folks use that to connect a mono leader to braid, not exactly what i'm trying to do. The FG seems like a great knot for a leader application, but seems too long for what I'm trying to do, and i'm afraid once I got down near the backfill, it would get caught up on the eyeletts upon casting. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Double your leader material and go through the loop with your braid.
1. Wrap the braid 5 times up, then 5 times down.
2. Braid Tag end through mono loop.
3. Snug it, snug it, SNAP IT

stronger than the line itself.

takes 20 seconds.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I just use masking tape as backing and tie it directly to the spool. No need for mono.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
but again, this (the Improved albright) is for tying a leader...I'm connecting braid to spool the line, to mono backfill -not trying to create a leader. Can I still use the same method?

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
but again, this (the Improved albright) is for tying a leader...I'm connecting braid to spool the line, to mono backfill -not trying to create a leader. Can I still use the same method?
The knots mentioned (blood, improved albright, crazy alberto) are all to connect 2 straight sections of line, it doesn't matter if it is a leader to line or line to line. Since braid and mono have different properties some of the knots are preferred over others. You will get several opinions on which is best.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
The knot Anthony posted is our version of combining the Berkley braid knot, and the Tom Collins knot.
It is a great knot for tying to backing as well as tying to a leader or top shot.
for most reels , you will never touch your mono backing. I actually only put a few layers of mono on to act as a cushion , and totally fill the rest of the spools with braid.
Use it for a few seasons, then reverse it onto another reel, and use for a few more seasons.
braid lasts a LONG time

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome -thanks for the level of specificity!...now I have something concrete to go on. Much appreciated fellas!

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Uni to uni is also a very good knot but I find the Alberto( or whatever you to call it) just easier to tie.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Fresh or salt water, mono leader/topshot to braid, braid to mono backing, do yourself a favor and google the Red Phillips Knot. It's got them all beat for ease of tying and knot strength.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts