New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posted yesterday[up]

http://allentown.craigslist.org/pet/1232693128.html

6 month old yellow lab (free) (Bethlehem, pa)
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-06-21, 4:38PM EDT

My family and I are moving and our new home doesn't accept dogs. She is a yellow Labrador retriever, I bought her from the pet store for $800 she has her vaccines and rabies shot. She is a great active dog that's great with people, kids an other pets. She loves to play fetch. I'm giving her away for free I'm just looking for people that will treat her good. You can have all her toys, food ( I have a big bag that's almost full) , and cage. I can email you photos whenever you want and you can reach me at 610-739-7720 and [email protected]

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1232693128

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[confused]......I found this on Craigslist[hihi].....someone just PMd me about it....asking if it was still available.....[rofl][confused]....don't know[spy]....check it out:D

I posted it cause sometimes guys are looking for
Something for nothing[eyeroll].....

but seriously....it don't sound like a bad deal...at least something that could be looked into......if I was looking for a hunting dog I would consider it myself;).....but I 've only raised German Shepherds for the past 19 years[ko]

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I hear what your saying about pet shop dogs. But she loves to play fetch.She has the retrieve instinct in her. I think she will work out if i didn't have 4 dogs already I would check her out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
don't get me wrong - if someone has the room in case it does not work out and the money to treat likely health issues like HD - more power to them. The dog certainly needs a home and an experienced handler could make all the difference.
But since I have been involved in rescue for over 20 years I can't shake my experience.
A free 6-month old lab with the common 'moving' reason just raises some flags.

·
Registered
747 Posts
if someone has the room in case it does not work out and the money to treat likely health issues like HD -
"Likely" have health issues like HD? Did you really mean to say that? You're scaring people away from this pup.

My first hunting dog ... bought before I knew anything about how dogs are bred ... came from a pet store (Woodbridge Mall maybe ??). I later realized that he did, indeed, come from an area notorious for puppy mills .... Sioux Center Iowa. But, that lab was full of natural drive and ability, and lived a long life. Maybe I was lucky.

·
Registered
222 Posts
of course you can be lucky and find outstanding dogs about anywhere, But if I am looking for a hunting dog I am not looking at the pet store or at a shelter (exemption would be that you know the background of an animal).
Predictability is something you only get when buying a working dog from a quality breeder.
You take your chances on everything else.
If you don't care if the dogs turns out to be a hunter, all the better and go for it!

I am a firm believer that people should be informed when getting a pet. It helps nobody, especially not the animal, if potential problems are ignored or even hidden.

My question is this: if someone is looking for a hunting dog and picks such a dog ... what if it does not work out as a hunting dog? Are they willing to keep the dog anyway? Now they have a dog but they still don't have a hunting dog - here comes the next one.
With limit laws in so many towns, who can keep a lot of dogs these days?
Maybe I am careful because of my rescue experience .........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.