New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had one hit last night in Franklin Lakes. PD had to put it down.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My officer didn't tell me. It could be either. The buck to doe ratio in town is almost equal.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Heard from a reliable source that the town DPW is holding a rack that scores around 180. Was shot on a local nursery and then died on someone's lawn.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be true. I have heard of people at Abmas Farm shooting them, but could have also come from town. Hunting is not illegal in town, there is just certain restrictions. A buddy of mind from the ambulance corp took a huge 8 pointer off of 208 a year ago. We also had a dead bear there about 5 months ago.

B

·
0 Posts
I would love to hunt areas like Franklin Lakes, just 15 mins from me. Years ago I use to hunt Mahwah, across from the Mason Jar, I would walk under Rt. 287 while they where still building it, I saw so many deer, many bucks, the rubs on trees where unreal, so many of them.

B

·
0 Posts
Not far away is the Bergen County Police Academy, I did a few training classes there, and while on lunch few other officers and I took a walk, it was a nice early fall day, deer allover, some nice bucks, but I saw some rubs that a huge buck must of made. I asked the director at the time if I can bow hunt it, he had no problem, but the county does liablity issue, I would of signed a waiver.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
True-there are some huntable areas in Bergen County but you need to make sure of all the weird restrictions. There are some monster bucks roaming the county and plenty of guys chasing them with the bow as well as an equal number of law enforcement playing the cat-mouse game. I know a guy that was busted in Hillsdale this past fall as well as almost busted in Alpine. To me, it is not worth the hassle and embarassment.

B

·
0 Posts
I agree with you Bob, lots of big bucks, but not worth it, especially for me, I could lose my job. Too bad Rockleigh was cancelled last year, I was close to getting permission from the mayor, but then he found out I didn't live in his town.

B

·
0 Posts
Certain towns allow deer hunting on a limited basis. Most allow bow hunting, some allow shotgun hunting, depends on the town itself.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have some private in Franklin Lakes my cousin and I will be able to bow hunt. #4 shot is the largest shot that can be discharged to town. I can't wait until next season to try at the big deer. Although it is earn-a-buck. Hopefully I will have enought time to hunt. Should be just finishing the academy for corrections and just starting on my own. Don't know how much time there will be. If not, I'll try to shoot them in my backyard in Lincoln Park. Just kidding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts