New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
I've never been fox hunting... but I have seen fox while hunting in Mountain Lakes... and down on a farm in zone 14.

But what do you do after you shoot? Get him mounted, sell the skin, or eat the meat?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Help your rabbit hunting. Think of it this way if every fox eat 1 rabbit a week. I trap/hunt all land that I run my beagles on. Even if only for a week. I don't think people realize how many fox there are. I personal took 9 fox off of 8-10 acre piece last year.
Ever wonder where all the pheasants and quail go. Cut open there bellys you'll see. I do.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
For 20+years I've enjoyed trapping the most. Nothing like walk up to a set and see a furbearer. Like a Christmas present to a kid. Just get started it's cheap and loads of fun.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
where do you sell the pelts at and how much you get for them it does sound cool

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Some places sell the pelts for about $50.00 a pelt. You can keep the pelts and make things from them. Hand warmers, Hats, pouches, or just stuff them. Never have fox meat...A friend shot one with his bow last year and it hangs on his wall now. He used a rabbit destress call.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
i shoot at foxes like its my job when deerhunting. i try with the electronic calls and rabbit distress and never had it work for me. key areas: they walk the creeks stalking ducks and if you bait deer with corn they check the bait often trying to sneak up on squirrles.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
If you think your going to make money on fox pelts forget it. I sold over 40 pelts this year & the high was $22. the low $5.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Most fox are rubbed fur. This is do to the phragmite reed. There guard hairs get broken. this is the reason for the low grade(price). I don't do it for the money. Just the fun. Trapping does pay for it's self. I hunt fox at night during the Feb. season. only got 2 this year. They are very smart. They will wind you faster then a deer. they circle down wind of the call. There slick. I remember them digging up my leg-holds when I was younger and my grand pop would laugh. He had the best method of catching coon I ever seen. His method is illegal since they out lawed the leg hold. The vixens are pretty much pregant now.

Tiil our trails cross,

WW

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
anyone have any luck this year i haven;t seen a fox all year my bother in law would like me to shot one if i can so he can mount it and put it in his den/smoking room

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I've seen three while deer hunting this season. Took one with a bow at 20 yards. Spotted another just out of range. Passed on the third with shotgun at 15 yards.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Nail some roadkill to a tree. The next late afternoon- Boom!! you got a fox!! I have 4 that eat all the pheasant/deer remains. Saw a fat one yesterday. They have a den in the neighbors yard. I had one mounted 20+ years ago, shot with 6 shot pheasant hunting early one morning. I'd rather shoot the big blonde deer chaser coyote out back these days.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Got this grey this year, with my bow.
He crossed my bait pile and went into the owners barn and started fighting with their cats. when he came back by the bait pile, I squeaked and stoped him. I pinned him right to the ground.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts