New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Canadian goose in front of my place today that got hit by a car and noticed it was banded.I wrote the numbers down and went on line to run them.He was banded here in NJ and was about 12 years old.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
thats a pretty good age for that honker...they normally live to be about 10-20years old i would say too bad he only made it to 12 [down]

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Some of these goose control companies have a good gig. They go to these corporations with Border Collies and run them off. There really are so many of them now. They crap all over everything.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well, lets do the math. I read that they poop 1 to 3 pounds per day.

20 year life span, died at 12. 8 years of life avoided.
8 years = 2921 days.

1 pound of poop per day(conservatively).

That's a ton and a half of poop that won't be crapped all over our lawns and sidewalks.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
Well, lets do the math.  I read that they poop 1 to 3 pounds per day.

20 year life span, died at 12.  8 years of life avoided.
8 years = 2921 days.

1 pound of poop per day(conservatively).

That's a ton and a half of poop that won't be crapped all over our lawns and sidewalks.
[hihi]

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Make sure you report the find. It helps keep track of the birds and impacts on hunting seasons and bag limits

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Goose poop is really bad for the environment. It is even known to cause fish kills in small lakes. ALso geese were responsible for that airplane crash on the hudson.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
The real goose control companies do not only use dogs. they work on a 80 percent population reduction in a year time frame. if only dogs are used it is because of the public pressure for non lethal methods on that contract.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
birdband.com
Thanks [up]

The real goose control companies do not only use dogs. they work on a 80 percent population reduction in a year time frame. if only dogs are used it is because of the public pressure for non lethal methods on that contract.
One time I was golfing with my cousin in East Brunswick and a pick up pulled out onto the course and it said "Geese Police" on the door. Guy gets out of the truch with a 5 gallon bucket tied to a rope. I guess it was filled with rocks or something cuz he just threw it out in the middle of the pond, all the geese flew away, and he got back in the truck and drove off. Most bizzare thing I've ever seen. I cant imagine that method's too effective.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.