New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Plenty of room for a tv and a grill too.

·
Registered
350 Posts
what did he wrap it with

It's some sort of erosion control blanket -- used on dirt while trying to germinate seed -- Straw wove into a blanket is the best way to describe it

We use "curlex" for erosion control but it's not straw like in the picture

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Looking good! I love haybale blinds set up in the right spot, they are deadly! Here is one I build out of cattle panels and some scrap wood . Perfect for foodplots! This one is in middle of ladino clover plot bordered by turnips for action all season long.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I picked up a roll of the straw erosion matting from Home depot for around $45. Just have to figure out how to attach it. The tarp is two sided. Black on the inside to keep it dark

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Looks good we needed it two years ago at the horse farm. I can get a hold of shrink wrap and a gun if you need one. I'm surprised at how good the tarp looks.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I picked up a roll of the straw erosion matting from Home depot for around $45. Just have to figure out how to attach it. The tarp is two sided. Black on the inside to keep it dark
Attach it with either zip ties or small lengths of black bungee cord with a loop on the end. That's how the original hay bale blinds are made. I used them the last 2 years in Iowa and Missouri hunting/guiding. Work great, they can be put up that day and hunted from without negative reaction from MOST of the deer. I think the key is to keep the "windows" up for the most part, opening them slightly as a shooter comes in. Decoys also help with blinds.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just have to figure out how to attach it.
How about taking some paracord and wrapping it up and over from side to side -- then attach the erosion matting to the paracord with zip ties -- shouldn't be too hard to make a weave of paracord over the tarp to attach the matting to

With the right color paracord you could lay the matting down 1st and just weave it over the matting and it would disappear

Forgot to mention that it looks great -- How much $$$ you have into it??

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
How about taking some paracord and wrapping it up and over from side to side -- then attach the erosion matting to the paracord with zip ties -- shouldn't be too hard to make a weave of paracord over the tarp to attach the matting to

With the right color paracord you could lay the matting down 1st and just weave it over the matting and it would disappear

Forgot to mention that it looks great -- How much $$$ you have into it??
The para cord sounds like a great idea. I could probably use the brown twine. It would blend in also. Most likely, I will have to recover it every few years but the erosion matt is cheap. From what Ive seen other guys build, they use 3 layers of matting over the tarp. I need to figure out how Im doing the door and windows too.
I have about $65 in the 3 cattle panels from Tractor supply. $60 for 4 6ft angle iron for the base from Home Depot. I picked up a tarp for around $20. I did an online order for the erosion matting with Home Depot. The roll is 8 ft x 125 ft for about $45 + a bag of black zip ties.
You could also use wood as your base with fencing staples for attaching the cattle panels if you dont have access to a welder.
The panels are galvanized steel, make sure you weld outside and do not breathe the fumes. I recommend some type of respirator to be safe.

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also, you will notice the angle iron is longer than the blind. I did this so I could drill holes and stake it in case of high winds. That thing would look pretty impressive rolling across a field on a windy day.[eek]

1 - 20 of 50 Posts