New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Try this again. Just made a post and it disappeared? Anyway, looking for a seed/mixture to cover my 800 square foot garden as well as,some small patches I have cleared on the back of my property on the fringes of a bedding area and near my swamp. What have you guys used with success that is a throw and grow type mixture. Just got married, bought a house and don't have a huge budget for all the bells and whistles. I am fortunate to have the type of property that just naturally holds deer. I regularly have anywhere from 15 to 30 deer milling around and at anytime of day there will be deer bedded in my field/thicket. My two matriarch does who have been having 2 fans a year for the past 5 plus year are doing the same this year. 1 dropped her twins approximately Friday. The other will be shortly. I have 3,mineral sites that have been active and getting pounded,since late March are they get a very small amount of corn and about 30 pounds of Grow the bone a week along with 2 grow the bone mineral blocks at 2 of the 3 mineral sites. I figured if I have at least 4 areas that would be perfect for some small plots to make the land even more enticing. Every year I hold the does and the roaming bucks follow. Any advice would be appreciated. I have been looking at mossy oaks hot spot. So far based on my research and the reviews it seems to be what would work for me. Also whatever you recommend preferably can be purchased at cable's seeing as I have about 500 in gift cards there. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,872 Posts
With 15 -30 deer hitting your plots, chances are anything small wont stand a chance. After planting a few plots last year, Eagle beans in the summer, they did very well once established, the deer couldn't kill them. This plot was about an acre. I had another plot with a mix of bob (buck on bag) . It was antler king honey hole and whitetail institute winter greens. The deer nipped at them early and throughout the fall. After a few frosts and a snow fall, they wiped the plot clean in a few days. The most grazing took place late November on. I did another plot 1/2 winter rye and half big n beasty brassicas. The rye did very well, it was grazed heavy and deer were in it every night. The Big n Beasty grew real well. The deer did not hit the Big n Beasty until late November and wiped it out by January as well. They really liked the greens after the frost and after they ate the tops, they came back for the turnips and radishes and literally ripped every last one of them out of the ground. Another plot was rye and clover mix, and again, the rye held up to heavy grazing. Dont know how well the clover took yet until I get back out there. This year Im experimenting a little more. Im still planting an acre or two of beans, but the 3 other plots I have will be a grain mix on half and a brassica mix on the other half. If the plots are really small, you could mix some winter rye, oats and winter peas. The peas are like candy to deer and will get hit as soon as they emerge. The oats will last until frost kills it off and the winter rye will go dormant once the temps reach low 30's then start growing again early the following spring even before clover starts to grow. Rye also helps with weed control and helps build your soil which means less fertilizer. The rye will be green when everything else is long gone. cereal rye not to be confused with rye grass. The following July, you can mow it off and get a volunteer crop of rye growing for the following season to start the process over again. Cereal rye is cheap, maybe $25 for 50 lbs. You would be better off checking a local agway for the rye. Also, check out Welters seed, I just bought all my fall plot seed from them last month.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I just tilled and seeded a new plot field today. I checked the ph balance of the soil which was fine, didn't add lime. I seeded with a ready-made deer mix from the local Tractor Supply, it was a rye and clover mix mostly. I'm going to follow the instructions and fertilize in 3 weeks with 10-10-10, which is what I use in the vegetable garden too. I'm also going to experiment with various items throughout the summer and fall. It will be interesting to see how much traffic it gets, although we have some pretty big corn fields nearby.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts