New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I fish many of the bogs and small ponds/lakes in the southern part of the state for Chain Pickerel. When the fishing slows down with live bait and artificals, I usally do pretty good teasing them into striking a streamer or a torpedo shaped balsa wood popper. White and Yellow seem to be the "hot" colors.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I started in June last year after the trout stopped taking nightcrawlers. What started out as a $139.95 investment in Cabela's for the Genesis 6 wt. rod/reel/line North Eastern Fly combo, has now grown into a $$$ hobby with Temple Fork Outfitter 2wt. and 4wt. rods with Teton Tioga reels. After matching the hatches and buying up all of the different flies, I found that four or five dry fly and nymph patterns covered all of my fishing needs. Wish I new that earlier because it was an expensive lesson.

I fish the South Branch of the Raritan/Ken Lockwood Gorge, & the Pequest. Check out Shannon's Fly and Tackle Shop in Califon, NJ near the Gorge - also can be found online at http://www.shannonsflytackle.com/. The Owner and regulars are a great help there, and the website lists all of the current river hatches and conditions year round.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I wish I was better at it. Wish I had more time to practice.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
i tried it when i lived in somrset couty i used to go below the dam in high bridge and fish the eves in the summer time caught a few but never got good at it
i used to get trout on helgermits [splelling]right below the dam in the deep pole used to love fishing their in the summer never anyone around and nice looking chunck of stream

·
Registered
612 Posts
Actuaully, I've never caught a trout on a fly rod in the US. I learned to fly fish in scotland while visiting relatives... but the rivers around here get so congested that it's agrevating. I trout fish with spinning gear and hit streams and areas that most guys overlook or avoid.

I have all the gear for fly fishing though and have been meaning to try it again. Having someone who knows what they are doing would be helpful... if someone doesn't mind a tag along once trout season starts, let me know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts