·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How has the fluke fishing been?

·
Registered
889 Posts
slow as far as I have been hearing. Water has been too cold but maybe after this week it will warm up and be better.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I went last sunday I caught like 12 fish out of the 12, 2 of them were keepers same with my two other friends. So between the 3 of us we got like 40 fish and took home 6.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Out on sinday in the raritan...2 keepers outta 10 fish.. 66 degree surface temp near the lighthouse...

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I went out on Sunday on my mako...Went to the reach channel around the 6 can...My brother and i boated eight keepers with the largest being mine going five pounds. The bait of choice was squid strip with spearing behind a white or pink bucktail teaser. We caught several shorts that were close and put a few blues in the boat as well. The short to keeper ratio for us was 2 to 1. My dad didnt put any keepers in the boat but caught a few shorts and the largest sea robin I have ever seen. Cut him up into long strips for the next trip. Even though the enitre fleet was fishing in that general area we decided to stay because we were still catching fish. We picked at fish from 7-11:30 then decided to call it a day. all in all it was a good first trip for the year.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Id like to report another trip out, for fluke, 0 fish landed. Im doing something wrong or have terribly bad luck.

Ill figure this out one of these days.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Drome, you need to get out into Raritan Bay. The fluke fishing is getting better by the day. With the warm weather we've been having, this weekend should be good, unfortunately I will not be out there to find out for myself. Maybe next weekend.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Drome, you posting on njstriper? Those guys there know their stuff. Find some of that deeper water near the inlets in Barneget and should do better.
Squid and a killie will get you some fish regardless.Buy a few simple 3 way swivel rigs, assorted size bank sinkers and some bait. Set up your for your drift and MAKE SURE your bait is held on bottom. Bounce it every now and then. When you feel a hit, open the bail and give a couple feet of line. Wait a few secs, take up the slack and set hook! Good luck.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
JJoes said it pretty much, however the less terminal tackle the better, on any fish.(learn totie dropper loops and snells) Try 15lb carbon leader,anywhere from 3'- 40" from the sinker. Just hook the bait once so it appears natural and doesn't spin. Hold bottom and drift. If surf fishing create your own drift by a few cranks on the reel every 30 seconds or so. Also fish the top edge of the channel, remembering the fish will be facing the current.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
JJOE is right on, couldn't of said it better myself. 1 think I might add is that you should use just enough weight to hold bottom, to much weight is NG. I generally find 3 or four ounces to be plenty, but depending on tide and wind conditions you may need more, or even less during slack tide.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
As the water warms look towards the deeper channel edges in raritan bay (reach, ambrose) and the inshore reefs, wrecks, and ridges off sandy hook down past the banegat inlet. The manasquan river usually holds a good population of fluke but most are on the short side and there is a lot of boat traffic. The barnegat bay area in the vicinity of the barnegat inlet and the nearby channels also hold fluke throughout the season. As for bait I like to seine for fresh spearing in the morning. I have found that fresh spearing really makes a difference. (also seining is a great thing for the kids to participate in since u catch a variety of fish) Sand eels are another option. I also like to pick up killies just to have have a variety. One of these two combined with a squid strip, searobin belly strip, bluefish strip, mackeral strip, etc are all good combos. The strips should be a penant shape. as far as rigs go a simple three way swivel rig with a 3 foot leader to ur hook should do. As everyone else indicated make sure you have enough wieght to hold bottom while you drift. Using a 1-4 ounce bucktail jig in stead of a weight adds another hook to a rig and sometimes attracts the larger fish. Also in front of the hook I like to put on a white, pink, or chartreuse sliding bucktail teaser. Kepp the bait moving by consistantly raising and lowering ur rod tip a few inches as you drift. Also try what is referred to as a "dead stick." Put a rod in the rod holder of ur boat and allow the action of the waves on ur boat move the rod. Sometimes this is more effective. There are so many different ways to catch these fish. The fisherman magazine is a great source of infromation for all species of fish found in NJ. I highly reccomend getting a subscription. good luck and i hope u catch some fish...there is nothing better than a super fresh fish dinner!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
FISHED THE SHREWSBURY RIVER YESTERDAY WITH A BUDDY AND LANDED 10 FISH ALL OVER 20 INCHES AND THE BIGGEST BEING 26. ALL ON KILLIES, AFTER THE TIDE CHANGE IT WAS WIND AGAINST TIDE AND THE BITE DIED OUT. I HAVE BEEN FISHING THERE FOR YEARS AND FROM THE SECOND WEEK OF JUNE TILL THE END OF JULY A LIMIT CAN BE CAUGHT WITHIN 1 1/2 HRS EASILY! NOT MANY FISHERMAN JUST LOCALS.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
The navesink and shrewsbury rivers can be productive...Before we got our boat, I used to fish with my grandfather on the Elaine B II out of the highlands...The boat is docked under the bridge that connects the highlands with sandy hook. Before the boat left the dock several guys used to drift baits back on the bottom behind the boat in the current and they used to bring in a bunch of nice sized fish...Also we would usually make at least one drift in the river before heading into the bay or out around the hook.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Was out Monday and Wendsday. The Fleet is fishing the reach, right in the middle of the channel. I'm not a party boat chaser. I have been fishing right if front of the NUDY beach. If you can drift either tide with the SW wind we been having, is perfect. Wind was strong on Monday, so I use the sea anchor to slow me down. From the South white buoy towards the point is the best spot. I have been the only boat there the last two times we were there, we limited out on both trips. Too many party boat chacers out there. If you see me out there stop by and say HI. 27' Shamrock, white name PAPI

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Drome, give me an email if you would like to take me out fishing. I haven't had a boat in a few years, but know a lot about fluke fishing. If you want I'll show you a few pointers.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is a big fish, my biggest was 7lbs. Last year I had a 5 lb. I had the pool won until someone hooked up right after the Capt. told us to reel up to head back. It was 5.25 lbs

1 - 20 of 26 Posts