New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of my buddies took out my clam rakes the other day (when it was in the 60's and again on Monday)and were pulling up winter flounder of nice size - up to 15 inches (state reg. is 11" min. - season opened March 1st). Looks like it's gonna be a great year again for flounder in the Raritan/Sandy Hook Bays and Navesink and Shrewsbury Rivers. Look for the flounder on sunny days in the shallow waters, and in and around the channel edges all the time.

A medium freshwater rod, a few double hook flounder rigs, a couple of sinkers in the 1 - 4 oz. range, two dozen Sand worms &/or blood worms, maybe some pieces of clam, a chum pot with a clam chum log, and a net are all you need.

Fish the rod "dead stick" style, but bounce the sinker every 10 minutes - When doing this lift the rod gnetly and you'll feel the fish on the other end very easily, then set the hook - I prefer the heavier sinkers so that it really sends up a cloud of mud/sand each time I bounce it. This will attract them everytime.

I also like using cans of fish flavored cat food (with holes punched in them) in my chum pots - It really attracts them and lasts for a while.

Attach a few hooks to your chum pot with a piece of worm or clam on the hooks, and catch a few that way, too.

If in a boat, attach a toilet plunger to a 10 - 15' pole using hose clamps - plunge the bottom of the river/bay every 15 mins. or so, and watch the increase in your flounder catch!!!!

TIGHT LINES!!!!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I use to flounder fish like crazy when I was a kid, out in Gardiner's Bay L.I. I never fished for them in NJ though. I've had the boat for a couple of years now and I always have intentions of going but always wind up concentrating my efforts on the migrating stripers. I'd like to go with someone who knows a few hotspots. I plan on putting the boat in the water at the end of the month if it ever stops snowing. I would like to extend an invitation to any of you guys to come along for a day of flounder fishing. Drop me a line if this interests you and we could discuss details... [email protected]

Jim B. hopefully soon to be FLOUNDEREATR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts