New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the invite from a buddy for a few days in the keys to fish and help film a few segments for dexter knives. Didn't have to twist my arm too much and we made plans. My buddy and the captain were at the Icast show all week, so I flew down saturday morning and met up with them down in the keys late Saturday afternoon. Talked for a little, checked out his flats boat then we went down the road to check out his Contender. Boat was beautiful but I spotted a bunch of mangrove snapper and parrot fish hanging out on the sides of the canals. Broke out the bow to try to get a snapper. I was waiting for a big one when my buddy took a few shots and spooked all the snapper away but in return a baby barracuda decided to see what the commotion was about and I smoked him. Sweet! baracuda with the bow.

Captain was impressed so insisted to grab the flats boat and hit the flats to see what we could find. Dead low tide made it tough, saw a one big cuda that was gone before we ever had a chance but I managed one more small cuda.
checked one or two more spots with nothing going on.

Sunday we planned to hit the blue water at the Crack of light. Well 530 am mother nature had her own plans and had a few vicious thunderstorms roll through. By mid morning radar showed the storms falling apart so he headed to the boat. I managed a big mangrove snapper in the canal while the captain got the boat ready. Pretty cool and ended up being a world record for bowfishing
After a few small boat unexpected boat issues we were out about 10 miles offshore on a reef in some pretty snotty conditions but blue skies and no thunderstorms headed our way. Chummed hard and had grunts, blue runners, and a few yellow tail snappers around the boat. Broke out the rods to try to put some fish In cooler, managed a few small fish of each plus two small strawberry grouper. But action was slow so we headed to another spot, of course another boat was on it, so we drifted some baits, fish finder showed life but everything had lock jaw. Ran a few more miles offshore to color change. Nothing on bottom or showing on finder, was just about to call it quits when we saw a few birds working. Worked our way that way and found a small weed line. Casted some bucktails and wasn't long before we had a few mahi chasing. I manged to land one, lose one and miss one. Really wanted to break out the bow to shoot one but we needed to put fish in the cooler for filming the knive segments. Well wasn't meant to be. Headed back to the dock to grab dinner and make plans for Monday.

Monday we planned on deep dropping some wrecks, well for luck would have it the 15mph wind forecast changed to 25+mph. We decided to hit the flats and see what we could find. First few spots we saw a few rays working so I grabbed the bow and managed 3 southern rays up to 60lbs.

Casted for cudas, the bucktailed for trout, snappers, grouper but same story, nothing was happening.

Tuesday I had to take my buddy up ft lauderdale airport but wasn't gonna let that shorten my trip. Did some research and found a good area to shoot the canal. Finally a plan that worked out, managed to shoot a few talpia, plecos, bullseye snakeheads and mayan cichlids. The largest mayan turned out to be another world record.

Overall crazy tough conditions but we made the best of it and already making plans to get back down there. Oh here's one of the pictures we got while filming

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You probably could've take a pass on that 15" barracuda.
Ha heck the first one was like 9" but you know what it was my first one and it's legal. I was very excited to add baracuda to my list of species, after shooting 50+ species before this trip it's not very often I get to shoot a new species, wasn't gonna let a legal fish swim by without throwing an arrow in its direction especially after traveling all the way to the keys to shoot fish.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What did fish ever do to you? No fish are safe. You are a fish killing machine.[lol]
Haha, funny you say that. Me and my sister both work for jcpl at different locations, anyways she took my 3 year old niece to work and the guys showed her the bucket trucks, my sister told her that is what I do at work and my niece responded saying no uncle Louie catches fish for a job. Made my day to hear that haha

Reactions: longbow
1 - 20 of 29 Posts