New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well? I'm down in Florida visiting my dad who is getting ready to retire, I decided to take a charter boat out for some red fish and speckled trout (weakfish), we got started at about noon, as we where idling down the creek we saw a bald eagle eating a mullet on the bank, fishing was tough!! We had a few hits but for the most part the fish where not on the chew, saw some big reds moving on the flats and had a few follow the bait but not hit, we hit a few coves and finally had a good hit and I hooked up with a small redfish, about 13" we then fished around for the next few hours without a bite, time was running out when the capt. says I have one last spot for trout, I need to get you a few for the cooler, we got there and we rigged to fish live shrimp, the fist cast and it was on!! The bite was fast with fish coming on nearly every cast! Sizes ran from 15"-22" and when it was said and done we boxed a limit of 5 good trout, just before we left I tried a mirro lure mirrodine I bought, and the first cast with it, it got creamed by a feisty trout! And I went on to miss 2 more on it, all in all it was a very good day!! Here are some pix of the day.

Fish Fishing Fish Bass Recreation

Fish Fish Fishing Bass Sound

Bird White Pelican Pelican Seabird Water bird

And the perfect end to a good day.
Sky Body of water Horizon Water Sunset

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hey GB, Just got back from Sarasota yesterday. Have to agree with you that the bite was slow and spotty. I fished almost everyday from the 14th thru the 21st wading along the intercoastal. Cold water and a cool breeze made the fishing tough but it was a better than stoking the wood stove here in Jersey. Fish of the week was a 25" Spotted Sea Trout. I'll be heading to Nosara Costa Rica in 4 weeks for some offshore fishing. Looking forward to landing a marlin,sailfish or big dorado. I'll be back in Sarasota in May and will fish Tarpon in Boca Grande. Where do you stay in Florida??

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Was down there last week also, Tampa area did a charter for Grouper many throwbacks Gage's and Reds of course Elly got the only league size Red on the boat but damn nice to eat fresh oysters shrimp n walk for miles on the beach with no coat.
Jan Feb fishing in FLA. Can be tricky and down right S-L-O-W but all in all you never need to use tip ups!
Oh and I'd pay half my kingdom for 1 more day of fishing with my Dad (gone almost 30 years now) just sayin cause no pics of the old man.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was down there last week also, Tampa area did a charter for Grouper many throwbacks Gage's and Reds of course Elly got the only league size Red on the boat but damn nice to eat fresh oysters shrimp n walk for miles on the beach with no coat.
Jan Feb fishing in FLA. Can be tricky and down right S-L-O-W but all in all you never need to use tip ups!
Oh and I'd pay half my kingdom for 1 more day of fishing with my Dad (gone almost 30 years now) just sayin cause no pics of the old man.
Yeah, well my dad did not want to go on this trip, I love him but he can be a curmudgeon!!!!! And the slow start would've had him complaining like no other, but he was happy that I brought home a cooler full of trout, well a limit of 5 anyway. I would love to get out fishing with my old man, but he's not that into fishing anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.