New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am a right handed shooter and i was wondering if it made any difference if i fletched my arrows right hellical or left???? i know that may sound dumb but i want to buy the correct bitznburger jig and they aint cheep.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I'm new to all that self do stuff so I bought my Blitzenburg from my local pro shop, as he knows what I shoot and can assit in any answers. Also he knows I'll get my glue and fletching from him. I paid $10 more but then again I saved that on S&H and also gave the bussiness to the small guy . Remember he's the one who will be Putting on new cables, silencers, strings. Cutting your arrows and maybe checking in your deer. I prefer personal service over saving 10bucks. Ask you dealer.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
For a compound it is personal preference, but when it comes to trad gear, RH archers should use a LH fletch, and LH archers should use a RH fletch. This helps spin the arrow away from the shelf of the bow.

Also, I assume you are using feathers. Vanes would be a no-no for shooting off the shelf of a long-bow.

Hope this helps---:)

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Right wing is good because your heads wont come loose, most people use Left wing, either wing will work on any bow. I flech my own arrows and next year I'm getting right helical clamps for my fleching rig.

The main thing you have to do is make sure you have good fleching clearnes, so you may have to turn your arrow nock some. I use classic arrow nock with the little indecator on the side and line it up with the front end of my [no swearing please] feather, This gives me the best clearness.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Try Stick & String they are in Washington, NJ and Randy is a great guy that knows alot about Traditional Bows. Most Compound archery shop workers know some stuff when it comes to Traditional, but I wouldn't let them touch my bow... Think of it this way... Would you let some work on a BMW, that only works on Lawn Mowers... so why have some work on your Traditional Bow.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
My suggestions not good enough for you MG?:p:D

That little tidbit about the opposite helical for trad shooters is pretty common knowledge. And sound advice if I may say so. While Right Helical will tighten your tips, you can keep your tips tight by putting wax on the threads...

Compounds are my first love, but I shoot trad too...:)

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Matty I know your good with Compounds, I neve said you didn't know what you are talking about I just feel the a Traditional Archery shop work can and will do better work thats all.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
But you dont know if I do good work on trad gear MG. You dont give me a chance. I admitted I didnt know a lot a while back, but...

...Maybe Ive been studying up on it, and picking the brains of trad shooting gurus!;) Afterall, it is my trade. I need to work on any and all bows...

:):):)

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Play nice GIRLS

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
Right wing is good because your heads wont come loose,
That reminds me of this guy named Rock, He was born and cursed with a spiral [email protected]$k. He searched his whole life in a vagrant hunt, for the girl who was born with a corkscrew $&%t. He finaly found her and fell over dead.
for the girl with the corkscrew $&%t had a left handed thread.:D

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Maybe Ive been studying up on it, and picking the brains of trad shooting gurus! Afterall, it is my trade. I need to work on any and all bows...
I wish you the best in working on Traditional bows Matty, but I guess I'm oneway on having a Traditional shop working on my stuff. If anyone wants you to work on there bows thats great.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
One thing I learned about bow hunting a long time ago-the correct way to do something is the way you get the arrow to hit where you aim. In spite of expert opinion.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Hi Mystic, you are correct,you can shoot either or.Same goes for compound.If you have clearance problems on trad. equip., its not fletching most of the time,its spine related.Your arrow should paradox around riser.I can shoot both w/same results.By the way how is the SHREW doin;).

PETE'S ARCHERY SERVICE

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Wsup Nontypical, The Shrew is great I got a Nice DOE on opening day of Fall bow with it and then 2 more DOES. I'm going to try and make a selfbow sometime in JAN, when I recover from surgery.

Ron La Clair has a new Shrew coming out in 2006, It really looks sweet.It's called "Lil' Favorite" There is more pic's on Tradgang.

I emailed Ron and asked if he could come to Whittingham in April 2006, No reply yet.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Make sure you take it easy after surgery.Dont wanna hear any excuses come 3-D season:p Congrats on the trad. harvests.Got another Widow this season.Gotta love 'em.One of these days we'll have to get 2gether:D

PETE'S ARCHERY SERVICE

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Any one ever hear left wing west of the Missisippi river and right wing east of the Missisippi? Get Fred Aspells books both 1 and 2. To start out its ok to go to a pro shop but I would recommend againt it unless they are stick men.Stick men are not the same breed as the modern guys. They don't even think alike let alone act alike or talk like. It is extremly important to learn your self how to set up your bow this way when the bow does differant things you know how to set her up your self and fix any problem especialy while your on a hunt.Make your own arrows which this is what real slick men do. Experiment to see what works the best out of your set up.To be sucessfull with a stick bow consistantly you have to become the bow.I do not agree with left and right arrow flights either off your hand or off the shelf flying acurately or consistanly. Sorry lets go shoot and stop the B.S.Arrow weight and spine weight is critical to be a good stick bow shot. I herd no mention of that. I never ever herd so many riduculas things in these posts with heads loosening up.Your heads will lossen up from hitting the target with aluminum.Does any one even weigh the heads and assuming you are shooting aluminum arrows also. You want to be a big game killer with the stick bow there are so many variables to consider and it will take dedication to the art. Stick bow men are fully tradional like indians.Why do you suppose there are indian arrow heads to be found? The compound with all the trick stuff is called archery only because of the arrow but they are more like Guns. For years I was stick bow man only, The Cat. I was never a great target shot but I was a pretty good game shot with enough acomplisments to prove it with the stick.I got older and hurt and really had to swich to a compound but I shoot fully instictive like with my stick bow.Any one I beleive can learn that but it won't be easy.If some one really wants to learn sticks they have to seek out stick people. Most true ones are an odd bunch like Flint Lock men that take it seriously.Go to www.stickbow.com. There are arrow companys out there that you can get 1 dozen custom cedars for 200.00 to 300.00 all prettied up and fully matched weight and spine.The spine is most important. The arrow can have no fletching on it.You need the fletching to straighn the arrow in flight with the broad head. Oh now we just mentined some thing else that has to be tuned.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Buckhunter,

If you get the chance to get up to the Pequest try 'Pequest Valley Archery'. They keep wierd hours because they have day jobs too but you couldn't meet a more helpful or knowledgable couple of guys. Some of the customers also know their ess-aitch-one-tee as well and just go there to hang out and talk trad bow stuff with the owners. I know - I'm a complete newbie and no question was too stupid.

These guys are trad all the way and they will let you shoot at the 3d setup that they have outside their shop too. I had their number programmed onto a cellphone that I then lost :( As soon as I find the number again, I'll post it up here.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Pequest Valley Archery PO Box 154 36 Green Pond Road Buttzville,NJ 07829 (908)453-2009

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.