New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
They're not stamps....You're supposed to glue them on.:p:D

Could be that the bow is not tuned well and the broadheads are amplifying the poor flight and causing the fletchings to come off in flight.

But that still means the adhesion was not good to begin with. Fletchings should not just "come off".

What kind of rest?

What kind of arrows?

What kind of fletchings?

What kind of glue?

Wraps?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Sure...but it'll cost you...I hate making arrows. If I never have to make another arrow in my entire life, I'll be happy!:D

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
What kind of rest?
Sounds like a fletching clearence problem.

I have heard that Wisker Biscuit rests eat up fletching. Never tried one myself.

Any other rest including a dropaway can damage vanes if the arrow isn't getting the proper fletching clearence. On my Quest with a Ripcord dropaway I have to rotate the arrow slighty so that one of the vanes doesn't contact the cables on release.

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a drop away and for the most part it is the cock feather that falls off. And i have the cock feather up.

I want to go somewhere else and get arrows made and see if the same thing happens but i just don't have the money.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Posted: 20 Aug 2009 4:17 PM

Registered User, Sponsor
Currently Online Posts: 3931
Monster Buck:
Send Ringneck a PM
I have a drop away and for the most part it is the cock feather that falls off. And i have the cock feather up.
Well that rules out what I said.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I had this problem with some carbon arrows that I was shooting. Sanding the arrow shaft very lightly with a fine high grit sand paper just to rough up the surface, and then cleaning it with acetone corrected the problem. It helps the adhesive stick better.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I had the same problem last year. I bought arrows and they glued the fletching on, first shot and they flew off on me. I went back to the store like a mad man cause if I was in the field I would have more then likely hit a deer in a very bad way. I'll never buy arrows that way again. Now I get them with the fletching already on on the shaft from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I fetched my own arrows and after a year of shooting them over and over through a whisker biscuit I haven't had any problems at all. Put it to you this way, I wore out my whisker biscuit and had to change that instead.

Basically used one of those 3M pads to sand the ends of the arrows, then used Bohnings SST cleaner and let them air dry. After that fletched them with Blazer vanes using Fletch-Tite Platinum.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
If you are shooting a drop away with the containment bar like the QAD or Ripcord and your launcher is up too high the cock vane will hit the containment arm and eventually the vane will come off. Check for vane contact on your containment arm if you have one. Is this on your powerhawk? If so and you are using a QAD you may have to change the launcher arm. QAD recommends the T1 launcher arm on Hoyts to get clearance (they are taller than the standard launcher), I have found on my Hoyts if I set the arrow through the berger with the T1 launcher I can get fletch contact with the containment arm. I have switched to standard launchers and so far it's worked fine. If you take the containment arm off the rest you will solve your problem and not have to retune the rest for the new launcher (if your problem is contact with the containment arm)

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After looking at my bow from the side with an arrow knocked it sure as hell looks like it hits to top bar of the drop away rest. What do you think?

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
I didnt read all the other posts so i'm not sure what was asked and not asked..Did you put any type of cleaner on the shafts as well as a blue clear or dip? You need to apply some type of laquer that the glue will burn to.Just wipe a thin coat on with a paper towel let it dry then put your vanes on.

It's not clearence problem, if the vanes were on good it would tear the vane before it tore off the shaft.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts