New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys/Gals,

I just wanted to throw this out there...and I know we are in rough times so I don't mean to offend anyone by looking for work, but I just graduated college with a graphic design degree, and have applied for many jobs but nothing has panned out, so in the mean time, I have to venture out on my on. I build websites, and was wondering if anyone is in need of a site. I can make animated flash sites, or standard html sites. If anyone is interested, please let me know. My online portfolio is listed below. Thank you.

http://www.russbatistoni.com

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
nice stuff, man. Did you reach out to The Creative Group yet. It's a good way to make some connections in the graphics field and also put some experience under your belt and money your pocket. They also have recruitment services. Shoot me a PM if you want the contact info.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Nothing says "I'm a professional!" like a white tee-shirt and a scruffy face.

Get a real shirt and a shave, talk slower, look into the camera and smile.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but I work for a company that rolls out 8-12 large sites a year and we have 20+ producers, all who look much more professional than you.

I know you're creative and edgy, but that college shit is over now - you want money you need to impress people who dress in suits every day.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
sites look good.[up] DEF take black's advice. throw a suit on, or shirt and tie, or even a polo or button up..something more then a white t. would def make you and your work more professional. [up] good luck out there.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Ive been an Art Director for 13 years now and I have never worn a suit and tie. Hell I wear shorts and sneakers to work in the summer. One my legs is tattooed from knee to ankle. Both arms to the elbows. Except when i have client meetings. Then it's khakis and a nice shirt. My creative director even wears jeans and sneakers to work and rides a ducati. Now on an interview dress appropriately. As a creative you NEVER wear a suit and tie. You will look way to stuffy. Creative directors look for your creativity to show not just in your portfolio but in YOU. Im not saying dress like a slob, but a stylish sport jacket and pants would work. NO TIE.

The career you chose isn't the corporate world. Many people think advertising is but the creative end of it absolutely isn't. You are going to be in the creative department, your job will be to come up with looks that are original and cutting edge. Hard to do it when that tie and suit is constricting you. You create for a living, you are not going to be selling insurance.

For you own personal site i would wear a nice shirt and like the others say shave.
Goodluck man.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks dubs. Yeah, I should have shaved. As for the white shirt, I was up against a blue screen last minute to pull off the web video, so unless I wanted to look like scarface and where my white suit, the only white shirt I had was a tee-shirt. I'll probably re-do it soon though. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Different strokes for different folks...and different markets.

Ultimately, the quality of your product will far exceed any personal image/style you have...BUT, for some that image may detract initial interest if it doesn't mesh well with whatever subliminal ideal they have.

With that said, I'd personally ditch the greeting entirely...not that you can't dress up nice or meet some company's image standard...but I think you'll be limiting yourself by having it on there (i.e. some may see a young kid, t-shirt, and think you're not some stuffy, elitist JO...while others may think the exact opposite, that you won't fit the corporate image and therefore have no idea what they might want from an end product perspective).

Why not let your work speak for itself and not limit your options or potential interest?

Just some thoughts, overall I think the site and work has good potential.

Also, review your resume, grammar and spelling is huge...many recruiters will dismiss you if you don't pay attention to detail there (perceived reflection of your work). i.e. check out "Dremweaver", I know you mean Dreamweaver (unless there is also a competitor Dremweaver out there I haven't worked with, if so, my apologies).

Also I'd remove anything that isn't directly professionally related. Stick to your market terminology and what's valued there (unless you are using the site for both graphic/web design AND metal/wood work).

No good, not relevant:
-Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America
-Writing and editing
-Metalwork, welding (MIG, TIG, stick, torch and plasma cutting) and machining
-Carpentry, masonry skills, and logging skills
-Heavy equipment operation (backhoe, forklift etc.)

Good, relevant and/or plus factors:
-Sound recording and engineering
-Galileo Scholarship, Raritan Valley Community College
-Deans List, multiple semesters
-1st place in the Department of Human Services Media Contest (computer generated category)

Good luck man!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.