New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready for first time salmon fishing. Gonna start looking at waders. I was going to try and get the neoprene stocking boot style an buy the boot seperate with the felt soles. I'm normally a size 13 shoe. Can I get away with size 13 water boots and then wear the waders with heavy socks and still fit in them? Usually wear hip boots here in NJ so these waders are foreign to me.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I would go a half size larger. A little extra room in the summer months is much better then cutting off blood circulation especially in cold water your feet would freeze.

I wouldn't go with felt soles. The algae slime gets packed into the felt and after a few days the felt gets slicker than goose sheet. The studded soles work much better and that river is dangerous. No place to be slipping around. A great option Is the Korkers wading boot.
http://www.korkers.com/footwear/fishing/redside.html
They have interchangeable soles. Comes with a hiking sole for walking roads gravel trails and what not and not wrecking your felts or studded soles. And comes with a felt sole I wear locally. Then you can buy the studded sole. Well worth it in my opinion. Helps on the slippery rocks and not an option but a 100 % must have if you ever go up for steelhead in the winter. Big ice sheets on the edges of the river and water freezing in felt soles and what not. Little expensive for wading boots but a great investment if you spend much time wading especially up in new york

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Oh and good luck when are you going? Hopefully not anytime soon. It sucks up there right now with very little fish. Buddy fished all day for one coho and lost one king. Some fish in the estuary but not crazy amount. Hopefully some of these cold nights will bring more in

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I prefer breathable waders now & nepoprenes in winter....I recommend 1 full size bigger than your street shoe. As delawareriver said, stay home for now, VERY SLOW. I am going up Oct 5th...should be good by then

·
Registered
133 Posts
Go breathable, I have been going for years and breathable with a pair of fleece pants and wool socks underneath is perfect and then you can wear them around here too. Good luck to you don't forget your polarized glasses.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I wear breathable year round. Little rough in the winter but much more comfortable overall

1 - 8 of 8 Posts