New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I was coming back from the shore on Sunday, I see a guy fishing down in the gulley or stream area there near the entrance to Cherry Ridge Range. On the range side of Canistear road.

If anyone has been there, you know this isn't much of a waterway. It can't be more than a trickle most of the year.

What in the world could possibly be there except minnows?

He also had his boat there at the range entrance and there was a woman there also.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
He also had his boat there at the range entrance and there was a woman there also.
Maybe he was fishing for ........nevermind [hihi][hihi]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Minnows or wild trout.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that part of the Newark Watershed? No stream fishing allowed if it is.
I would think that it'd have to be. It's one of the feeder streams for Canistear reservoir.

·
Banned
4,539 Posts
Then he's asking for trouble, those folks dont fool around. Probably catching small native brookies.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you've ever been to the Cherry Ridge, you'll know what I mean by saying it has to be like fishing in a ditch. It's also VERY exposed. The range even mows the grass right there.

I can't imagine there's much water there at all. It's the dump off from the swampy area next to the range. It just didn't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Was he fishing in that swampy area just out by the range entrance ? That was at one time a small lake with a dam built right along side the road,its fed by the ponds that are in the back of the range. This year the water level has been real high over there. He may be catching bass. Gvs is right though,thats watershed land and there is no fishing in the streams.

·
Registered
246 Posts
No stream fishing allowed if it is.
Huh? I fish the streams there several times a year and have seen the rangers and they never said boo to me? Thanks for the heads up I will need to check . BTW the guy was catchin muskie bait for echo. Those streams are loaded with nice 6-8 inch black nose dace.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Maybe he was just enjoying himself and did not care if he caught fish or not. :)

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Has anyone seen ANY security up at the watershed this year? Usually while out in the boat i see the security truck every time at least once, and this year, I havent seen one security truck at all. Also, they did away with booking the boat launches, now its first come first serve, which also makes me think the security is gone, if not severely cut back due to cutbacks. Anyone have any info?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks GVS. I guess I have just been lucky. Thanks again for the heads up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts