New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i met up with OutlawJt today and Outlaw's (Jason) cousin Mike. Fished the south branch over in clinton. i think i got another one hooked on the panther martin! OutlawJT caught some nice ones on it and i got 3 as well. Mike was bait fishing and he caught some to. I was cool meeting up with them. We have to make a future trip.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
PANTHER MARTINS RULE !!!!

Woj was right on the money !!! - Those Panther Martin lures, although a bit pricey (over $4.00 at Walmart in Clinton,) were more lethal than the Rainbow Trout or white colored Rooster Tails that I'm used to fishing with.!!!! Oh yeah, give the Clinton Walmart some time to stock up this week as I bought all they had!!! :p

#2 Panther Martin, the South Branch of the Raritan, two Polacks & an Italian, and almost three limits of Brookies caught between the three of us...What a combination!!!! [smirk][up]

Caught three (3) nice Brookies on my first few casts with the Panther Martin, but when the fish stopped hiting the Panther Martin, I immediately switched over to worms to limit out by 10:30 AM (we got on the South Branch around 8:00 AM Saturday morning after getting "skunked" at the Beaver Brook). [up]

It was great meeting up with Woj - We all had a blast fishing, and along with some good conversation it made for a great morning of fishing - I will definitely "hook up" again with Woj to do some serious fishing on some of the more northern rivers, stream and brooks. [up]

Also, Outlaw's cousin, Mike, and I Limited out on the Beaver Brook in Clinton (Thursday night) and the Pohatcong Creek - Hunterdon/Warren County(Friday).

We planned on fishing a new place near our hunting club on Sunday (it's nice to have a few local members in our hunting club who have lived near the clubhouse for many years, and can point out the "honey holes" that even some of the "newer" residents don't even have a clue that they exist!!!!), but we were pretty whooped from the previous three days of fishing, so we blew off fishing Sunday entirely. [smirk]

I'm looking forward to fishing again (possibly next Saturda) with Woj, but for now, I can't wait to get some of those fish in my smoker this week !!!!! Yummy!!!! :)

Woj - I'll give you a call Friday evening to see if you can get out Saturday morning to try out some of the rivers and streams that you mentioned.

Tight lines !!!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I forgot to mention that the South Branch of the Raritan and Pohatcong Creek get stocked every Tuesday (closed stocking from 5 AM - 5PM), and most of the tributaries leading into the South Branch get stocked this coming Wednesday !!!!

The smaller streams have slowed down a bit and theri water levels have dropped considerably, so "wormers" can get away with using "b" or "bb" split shot, whereas the larger rivers and deeper/faster streams still required a 3/0 split shot to keep the worm near the bottom for as long as possible.

Hoorah!!!!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sounds like you guys had a good time.[up]

I've never like the panther martin, I've had some success with them and generally have a few in my box, but the black rooster tail (silver blade) seems to work best for me. The panther martins put a serious twist in your line too... even if you use a barrel swivel.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
One thing I found with the Panther Martin was that if you inadvertantly sent your line over a small twig or branch on the cast, they were more easliy retrieved than a Rooster Tail, which from past experience would have hung up and would have been "lost".

I didn't experience any more line twist than what was expected for fishing the spinner in fast water, and I tended to have better success fishing the slower waters outside of the main flow/channel.

JerseyFJ40 - You've gotta get out with us on one of the up and coming Saturdays, and give the Panther Martin a fair try - You may even become a believer and another converted Panther Martin user like me (I fished the Panther Martin lure when I was younger and hated them due to the line twist issue, but if you stay out of the main current with it and fish the slower areas of the river or stream, it IS now my lure of choice!!!![smirk]

·
Registered
612 Posts
JerseyFJ40 - You've gotta get out with us on one of the up and coming Saturdays, and give the Panther Martin a fair try - You may even become a believer and another converted Panther Martin user like me (I fished the Panther Martin lure when I was younger and hated them due to the line twist issue, but if you stay out of the main current with it and fish the slower areas of the river or stream, it IS now my lure of choice!!!!
I'll give it a try... the problem is, turkey starts this saturday, so you guys may be waiting a while for me. I'm hitting Flatbrook this friday evening (stocking day) and after a few hours of fishing, I'm hoping to roost some turkeys for saturdays hunt.[up]

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah we had a good time fishing. it was a beautiful but a little cold at 7am. i'll definitely hook up again. i gotta get JerseyJim a call he wants to go too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts