New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was my first turkey hunt, as well as my first hunt ever. I went alone to Vorhees State Park early in the morning where I was the only person present. I felt this would help my odds of getting myself a bird! I was wrong...After about an hour of walking through the woods and an hour posted up on a rocky ridge overlooking a small creek and a fairly open area about 50 yards away, my spot was over run with hikers and joggers. During that first 2 hours, I encountered 2 nice does and a few birds, but no signs of turkey, turkey droppings, or hearing any noises. Being that there was a large number of people coming in, I decided to change locations and moved on to another area in zone 9.
After Vorhees, I went to Ken Lockwood Gorge. This place is absolutely beautiful, but doesn't seem hunter friendly. There were about 20 people fishing today and groups of people walking around the park. It felt too densely populated with people to be able to take a shot and be sure there was no one that might be injured, so I left there after an hour. It was a nice walk through the woods, but not good for hunting at all. The turkey season is ending, and I'm thinking this season may be lost for me (for turkey at least). Any chance anyone knows some private land that is okay with hunters or some public land in Zone 9 that has a good turkey population? I would love to get out there tomorrow and try to get a bird! Also, any general tips for turkey hunting would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Ok bud, I say this in the most sincere and helpful manner : You need a mentor. I'm gonna assume you are very very green, just passed hunter ed? Have you ever hunted turkey during spring time? Fall vs. Spring are very different. What kind of gun are you shooting? Do you have calls? My advice is this, forget about the turkey for now. You should focus on honing your woodsman ship skills and do some squirrel hunting. They are plentiful, taste good and will help you learn some basics.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Also, let me save you a verbal lashing ( I realize you are new to this , so again don't take this the wrong way) no one is going to offer up private land , someone will probably help you with some state land in your area,I would if.you were closer but asking for someone's honey hole is just going to get you berated. Just looking out man.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, let me save you a verbal lashing ( I realize you are new to this , so again don't take this the wrong way) no one is going to offer up private land , someone will probably help you with some state land in your area,I would if.you were closer but asking for someone's honey hole is just going to get you berated. Just looking out man.
Thanks for the response, yeah i am very new to this. Passed hunters ed 2 or 3 weeks ago. Right now I'm hunting with a Benelli Supernova in 12ga and i do have a turkey call. I was considering changing the course of today away from turkey and towards squirrel, but i didnt research small game laws yet and dont want to get in any legal trouble, so opted against it. It makes sense that no one is going to offer private land, but I figured that it was worth a shot. I appreciate that you said you would help me if i was closer and i didnt take anything you said the wrong way. I am very new to this sport, so I expect some negative comments (not that yours was at all) and to ask a few dumb questions here and there. All part of the learning process?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Except if you were by me..i would offer you private land. But I'm so busy at work I would have to show you too much in basically no time

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Listen man, shoot me a pm with your cell # and a good time to give ya a buzz and I'll give you a crash course and I can answer any questions you may have. In the mean time do you have the nj fish and game compendium? (Rule book) if you have the paper back one read it cover to cover , once your done read it again 6 more times. You can get a better understanding of different seasons, species ,weapons allowed and all the other rules you need to know to keep you legal and ethical. Again, in the mean time scrap the turkeys and focus on squirrels. You need your hunter safety orange, vest and hat and a few boxes of small game load, ask the guy at the sport shop which kind. Find small game section in rule book ( or the whole book is online) and learn the rules for squirrel, bag limit, season dates etc. Start with that and then when we talk I'll go over some more basics to get you started.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Listen man, shoot me a pm with your cell # and a good time to give ya a buzz and I'll give you a crash course and I can answer any questions you may have. In the mean time do you have the nj fish and game compendium? (Rule book) if you have the paper back one read it cover to cover , once your done read it again 6 more times. You can get a better understanding of different seasons, species ,weapons allowed and all the other rules you need to know to keep you legal and ethical. Again, in the mean time scrap the turkeys and focus on squirrels. You need your hunter safety orange, vest and hat and a few boxes of small game load, ask the guy at the sport shop which kind. Find small game section in rule book ( or the whole book is online) and learn the rules for squirrel, bag limit, season dates etc. Start with that and then when we talk I'll go over some more basics to get you started.
Nice!!!

·
Premium Member
4,189 Posts
I don't have any turkey on my property in zone 9. But Black River WMA does. So does the MUA property you have to get the county permit to hunt it.

Reactions: DamianNapo

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
And like someone mentioned , DEFINITELY download the NJ version of Pocket Ranger, it's a wealth of information. One thing to be aware of though. It has a section to share pictures of your harvests,tree stand pics etc, if you don't turn of the location service your exact coordinates will post with your pictures. That's something I certainly don't want ha.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Don'r let anyone tell you turkey hunting is too hard, I've killed a spring Grand Slam, and trained a dog for fall turkey hunting, no mentors, all self-taught (read a lot of books, watched some decent videos, and talked to guys in the NWTF for suggestions). My advice- anywhere you find turkeys, squirrels should be nearby. If you have a mentor to show you the ropes, that's great. But if not, go squirrel hunting, bring a kee-kee call (teal whistle will work) and a slate call. If you get a response, lose the orange clothes and try to call the bird in for a shot. If not, just hunt for squirrels and have fun blasting them out of the trees. Either way, you're out in the woods, cutting the learning curve. Best of luck![up]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don'r let anyone tell you turkey hunting is too hard, I've killed a spring Grand Slam, and trained a dog for fall turkey hunting, no mentors, all self-taught (read a lot of books, watched some decent videos, and talked to guys in the NWTF for suggestions). My advice- anywhere you find turkeys, squirrels should be nearby. If you have a mentor to show you the ropes, that's great. But if not, go squirrel hunting, bring a kee-kee call (teal whistle will work) and a slate call. If you get a response, lose the orange clothes and try to call the bird in for a shot. If not, just hunt for squirrels and have fun blasting them out of the trees. Either way, you're out in the woods, cutting the learning curve. Best of luck![up]
Thanks! That's pretty impressive. I'll try some squirrel hunting next weekend, it should be a fun day. I'll try to find some turkeys while I am out there, but the main focus will be on the squirrels. So far, even without a successful hunt, I've been enjoying the experience of trying to learn how to hunt mostly on my own, but with help of a couple members the community.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Good information.I told him your real name.Mr Pitts.lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts