New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys- I'd like some opinions. I am going to get my son a pocket knife for xmas. As it's his first and he's 8 safety is a concern but it's not like I am going to let him carry it 24/7. He'll be supervised by me.

At scout camp this year I saw some real bad examples of first knifes, like an assist open serrated blade in the hands of a kid with dicipline issues.

I know what I had at his age, was carry sheathed knifes by then. But times have changed and so has common sense.

Appreciate any lessons learned from you.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
i have two daughters one just turned 8 the other 10 they both have knives for camping only or when in woods with me i got them case xx tiny muskrats small and later on when older they will still be able to use the knives go to shepard hills cutlery check out there selection awesome place to deal with

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Swiss army knife with all the extras that you will never use. Emergency toothpick anyone...lol. Plus they are dull which could be a good thing.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I would look at the Case knives also .... I believe it is the Old trapper knife that has a more rounded large blade and smaller one o nthe other end. Makes a great wittling knife also. Several different body colors and styles.

Tractor Supply usually has a nice selection and I believe they even have a gift set of case pocket knives last time I was there.

They even have pink for the girls.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Don't they make an official Boy Scount knife anymore?

I still have one around here somewhere. Might be a little bigger then you want for a pocket though.

·
Registered
454 Posts
as a father and eagle scout the first thing i would say is get something with a locking blade. thats is one of the best things you can do. the second is skip all the bells and whistles, they may look cool but they hardly ever work. last dont go cheep, get something with a good steel blade that will hold an edge for a while. there is nothing worse that having to stop every 5 min to sharpen your knife...

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
My advice, get whatevers cheapest, if he's anything like me when i was 8 that thing will be lost somewhere in 20 pieces lol.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
something with a lock blade, so he wont close it on his finger (i still have scars from when I was younger) and one that dosnt cost much cause he's gonna lose it. My son has gone through a few already

·
Registered
64 Posts
My son is 7 and I got him a knock-off SAK.
They are dirt cheap. It has a boat load of functions he is intrigued with.
They are cheap enough that when (NOT IF) he loses it, it isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Cmon, think back to when you we're eight...Swiss Army! It has everything a "man" needs to survive in the wild! I never got the one with the fork, but at 43, I still have it!;)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Like anything else, you teach him the right way to handle a knife and when it should be taken out and used. It might give him the feeling of a little responsibility.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts