New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 6 40 I have a nice big deer come in and for 20 min I'm glassing it making sure its not a small buck, body was to big so I knew it was'nt a BB so at 7 AM I let a arrow fly. Perfect shot deer went 40 yds and dropped. Got me a nice big doe, just what I was looking for to take to tom the butcher for some good specialty cuts. Get down at 8 30 and it's a friggin shed buck. Pedicles were small the size of a nickle so I'm pretty sure it was a spike I had around the area all fall bow. None the less it's a great deer and I cant wait to get kilbasa and such made.

I'm just surprised he dropped already being his tarsels were jet black

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
he may have broke them off fighting. i had a good bit of rut activity and fighting in zone 23 the last 7 days or so. 4 different bucks that i can see have broken atleast 1 part of there headgear including a spike..he's now a unicorn. :D

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I found a dead shed buck today.

It was an ollllllllld buck. I was hunting with my buddy who is a taxidermist. The deer died recently; we were still able to open his mouth. He had NO teeth left. His right side was shed off, bloody pedastle and when I went to look him over for any holes, his left side popped right off in my hand, with zero effort.

It was a buck I wanted to shoot. My buddy estimated him to be 8.5yo, and, in this area, that wouldnt surprise me; they get to live long.

Congrats to you !!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I found a dead shed buck today.

It was an ollllllllld buck. I was hunting with my buddy who is a taxidermist. The deer died recently; we were still able to open his mouth. He had NO teeth left. His right side was shed off, bloody pedastle and when I went to look him over for any holes, his left side popped right off in my hand, with zero effort.

It was a buck I wanted to shoot. My buddy estimated him to be 8.5yo, and, in this area, that wouldnt surprise me; they get to live long.

Congrats to you !!
Sucks to hear but cool story! Any pics?

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Sucks to hear but cool story! Any pics?
I have some trail cam photos of him I can load and I can snap a photo of the sheds, but, I did not take a photo of the body...

He literally only have about 60" of antler this year.

I know it's so cliche, but, these photos dont do his body justice. He is probably the biggest bodied deer I have ever seen, but, he appears to be emaciated. He was super super long and all, but, it looked as if he had no muscle, like a deplete elderly person, or, a dog in his final months.

His bases are pretty freaking thick and covered in "barnacles". Oh well, mother nature will always win. I would have liked to have shot this deer just because of his age.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Thanks Henro. I knew he was old but had no idea how old until we saw him. Zero teeth, it was incredible. I'm glad he shed because now I legally have his antlers and will proudly display them out of respect for this old warrior. Honestly, I would have burnt my tag on him is needed

·
Registered
408 Posts
Same story, zone 12 last night Luknikk. Watched a big doe on the other side of the field from me. She was by my brother in law who didn't have a doe tag. Well I watched her for quite some time as she walked away to well over 200 yards and each time I lost track of her and thought she was gone, I would pick her up in my binocs again. Don't you know that as shooting light was fading, she starts to come back towards me, and makes a bee line to my side of the field, giving me plenty of time to put my earplugs in and setup my shooting stick. I grunted and stopped her 60 yards in front of me. After I shot, (remington solid copper), I thought I missed as she ran off and I couldn't see that she had crashed on the other side of the field by my brother in law who saw the whole thing. She ran about 70 yards or so even though I double lunged her. So I get up to her/him and see the dark tarsal glands, and role him over and see his "manhood". Turns out one horn was rotted out with no trace of it and the other had maybe a 3/8" clean shaven angled piece left. Go figure! Quite the exciting ending to a long day in my stand as I sat from six am without seeing a deer untill I saw this one at about 4:15 and didn't shoot him untill the last few mintutes of legal shooting light! ***(As a side note while my shot was a little high and annihilated both lungs, I checked for blood in the field out of curiousity today and only found two fifty cent piece size blood stains near where I hit him. While his body cavity was totally filled with blood, the holes were above it and he didnt spray blood while running. Just something to keep in mind as good hits aren't always accompanied by a heavy blood trail)!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.