New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too bad it was dead on the side of Rt 173 South Right before Jugtown Mtn.

regards,

-dan

·
Registered
545 Posts
SAW A DEAD ONE WITH SPOTS ON RT 22 - A BUNCH OF GUYS FROM MY CO PLAY GOLF AT GALLOPING HILL AND THEY ALL SAID THERE WAS A FAWN BEDDED DOWN UNDER A TREE NEAR A TEE BOX

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Is it just me or are there seemingly many more roadkilled deer this time of year than normal? It seems like everywhere I go I see dead deer along the road. It's kind of expexted right before and during the rut, but in June?

·
Registered
623 Posts
The gland in the medula of the deer does not develop a sense of danger until the deer is about 3-4 months old or until they are shot at a few times, whichever comes first. Fawns dead in June is really no surprise. Moreover, does will stay with their fawns until the bitter end so there is always an abundance of dead does and fawns in June. This trend will die off by mid July and start when the bucks go wild in Oct/Nov.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bambi, yes, that makes sense, but this year it just seems like there are many more roadkills than normal, compared to past years. I think it's also a sign that the herd is still continuing to grow larger and larger.

B

·
0 Posts
Just remember the total harvest last year was down 30% from other years, so there is a surplus of deer out there

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Bambi, yes, that makes sense, but this year it just seems like there are many more roadkills than normal, compared to past years. I think it's also a sign that the herd is still continuing to grow larger and larger.
I don't know how long you've been hunting but give me some of what you're smoking,because you must be high if you think the herds are getting larger and larger. Other than unhuntable properties,the herds are getting smaller and smaller,at least where I hunt they are(zone 8),and talking to guys that hunt other zones they are saying the same thing.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i have to agree with dbuck here. i hunt zone 8 and the deer herds are not like they used to be.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts