New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well thanks to some kind members here donating some equipment the college kid I have been mentoring scored! His first few sits he missed two does from pure adrenaline. He has been coming home almost every weekend and putting as much time in as he can. I set up a blind for him at one of my spots where the camera has shown lots of does and a few small bucks moving through the travel corridor pretty consistently. We went over why the blind was where it was, why the deer traveled there, where they were headed and coming from. Friday afternoon we got in the blind and got settled. Pretty quickly we spotted some deer moving off the ridge headed our way. I noticed one was a 4 pt and he was badering the does a bit starting to get frisky. He was at about 75 yards when I made 3 deep grunts from my ******** pride grunt call. He threw his head up and was on his way. The kid did great. He drew while the buck passed behind a tree on final approach. I stopped him at 16 yards and he let one fly. Perfect shot, the buck made it 13 yards before it was all over. What an incredible experience for both of us. He was shaking for hours. Another hunter joins the ranks and to say he's addicted would be an understatement. Very proud of him. C360_2014-10-17-18-27-12.jpg

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Extremely rewarding. Instead of partying every weekend he's finishing up his friday classes are getting home as fast as possible and spending the weekends chasing deer with his bow. We sat around a campfire later that night and relived the hunt. He was calling everyone he knew and deciding what he wanted to do with the antlers. He also received a field dressing lesson. Next one is on him! Ha.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Shaking?Nooo.lol Nice going Dave,Congrat's to you young man.[up]

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
nice job[up] always good to have another join the ranks[up] reading the story it looks like you actually taught him some woodsmanship,what to look for in deer sign,travel routes and proper stand location.excellent.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Absolutely. Since early summer he has scouted with me. He's full of questions. Doesn't want to just shoot one, wants to learn about deer behavior, stand location, food sources etc. I am impressed that he has such a deep interest in the whole picture rather then "just put me somewhere" and let me kill one. This weekends lesson after the harvest was rublines, scrapes and how they factor into your hunt. I also get a text before about "hot rut days" that we need to hunt! I'm about as addicted to hunting as you can get but this whole experience has definitely rejuvenated the excitement and little details for me.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Congrats to him and to you. Great job by both!

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think he creeps around here but isn't a member.

Reactions: electric10162
1 - 20 of 62 Posts