New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3,988 Posts
I got 2.5 cords of wood split and stacked as of 2 months ago and will probably split another cord before the 4th of July. I should be set as I have a lot leftover from last year.

I would suggest not waiting until August to split wood. Once cut into lengths, the wood doesn't dry out or season as much as you think until it is actually split into quarters or more. Just cut into log lengths doesn't mean the wood is seasoning as well as it should. Even once split, it needs a good 12 months to properly season, especially oak. Otherwise, you won't be burning efficiently and as hot as you could...plus risk creosote build-up. Just some friendly FYI.

· Registered
3,294 Posts
I would suggest not waiting until August to split wood
i do this every yr, the wood i sell is mainly ash and maple so it dries quickly, and is very dry by burning season. where my wood dries it gets direct sunlight the whole day, and i keep it covered when rains, ill let it season in cut rounds for almost a yr

· Registered
3,102 Posts
I use Easter as my gauge for when all my wood is split for the following winter.

I might have some sweet gum in late July if anyone wants some. It doesn't produce many coals but it burns hot in my woodstove.

You'll need a splitter or wait till well below freezing to do it with a maul.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.