New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My town doesn't have a police department so who do i go to, to fill out my app. I'm going to call my town hall and see. If i can get someone there when i call.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's what i think to. they are the ones who patrol our town.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope. our police are the State Police. They are in Perryville. It's over by Spruce Run sorta.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
firearms id card as in buying a firearm or the one you need to have when hunting with a smokepole? the one you need with the smokepole you get from Trenton

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Hunting with a rifle or muzzleloader = rifle permit = hunter safey course/test.

NJ Firearms ID card = card to purchase a gun in NJ (you also need a pistol permit to by a handgun) = card that needs to be with you when you have a gun (hunting or not hunting)

·
Registered
2 Posts
just go to the state police they are the ones who are going to check your back ground anyway i believe it's 60$ check made out to the state police and go get finger printed and your on your way

·
Registered
55 Posts
You don't need the card with you while hunting as there is an exemption in the law for hunting, target shooting, place of business, etc. Ask that Nappen character, he'll tell you . Wish I had the statute on me to better inform you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's right in Nappen's book. He quotes the statute and exemptions. Sorry, don't have the book on me. You could always go the the ATFE's website and look up the state statute. I believe it is ATF publication 5300.5. Also, go to NJSP wesite and link off the regs page, I know its there.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
i keep hearing differently.
You keep hearing wrong.

You do not, I repeat DO NOT need a NJ firearms puchaser ID card while hunting, target shooting, transporting legally and a few other exceptions.

However, given the thousands of gun laws in NJ and the fact that many police officers are not fully aware of NJ gun laws you should have it on you anyway. False arrests happen in NJ quite frequently.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah, wrong big time. Too many uneducated cops when it comes to firearms laws. Actually most of the laws are quite simple. You just have to know how to read and not listen to the bar slob and the local talk in the sport shops. All laws and rules are written out and most of the time in plain english.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUICK REFERENCE CHART
Rifles and Shotguns
Permit to Carry
ID Card Required Yes

it says this but you go down further and this

It is unlawful to knowingly possess any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a Permit to Carry. It is unlawful to knowingly possess any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FID).

Exceptions.

No Permit to Carry or FID is required:

5. To carry a firearm in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice, or fishing, provided that the firearm is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and the person possesses a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
but it sorta says both...you need to have a card and you don't...lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts