New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do you have to change your address for your Firearms ID Card?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
13:54-1.11 Duplicate firearms purchaser identification card
(a) Persons shall apply for a duplicate firearms purchaser identification card to replace a lost, stolen or mutilated card,
or in the case of a change of residence by the holder, within 30 days of such loss, theft, mutilation, or change of
residence.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Oh yes you do, don't make no different you must have an ID even to see a gun at a shop

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I didn't see that post gunny . It was over 30 day's when my wife had her's changed but that was 8 years ago. Guess things changed.

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
i got mine changed 4 years after i moved,, theres no time limit,,,,as for gun stores its true they arent supposed to show u guns without a card but most will its not a law its just most dont want to waste time showing the gun if u cant buy it

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
the statute says 30 days,you CAN be refused another one,it rarely gets done though. But the issuing municipality can use it against you for violating the statute and refuse to issue,

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
its true they arent supposed to show u guns without a card but most will its not a law its just most dont want to waste time showing the gun if u cant buy it
it is the law;

13:54-1.3 Firearm identification card or permit to purchase required
(a) No person, other than a licensed or registered retail or wholesale dealer, shall receive, purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle, shotgun or antique cannon, other than an antique rifle or shotgun, unless that person possesses and exhibits a valid
firearms purchaser identification card. No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of a rifle, shotgun
or antique cannon to a person other than a licensed or registered retail or wholesale dealer unless the buyer or receiver
possesses and exhibits a valid firearms purchaser identification card.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
didn't see that post gunny . It was over 30 day's when my wife had her's changed but that was 8 years ago. Guess things changed.
I also took over 30 days to do so,like I said it rarely gets enforced,but some municipalities are antiguns and you don't need the trouble.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Gunnyfern, Since you are obviously an expert on this:

Isn't it also the case that you are supposed to have the card in your possion when transporting a fire arm to the range or to go hunting?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Gunnyfern, Since you are obviously an expert on this:

Isn't it also the case that you are supposed to have the card in your possion when transporting a fire arm to the range or to go hunting?
I wouldn't call myself an expert, but i did work issuing them for a while and I have testified in court as a firearms expert, so I've done my homework.
I will tell you that most police officers do notknow the law as It pertains to Firearms as I get calls from other municipalities often.
as to your ??? it is not required since a person may legally own a gun but not have an fid card.
lets say I was a resident of Pa and bought guns there then later I moved to NJ. I do not have to register my weapons or even apply for an fid card to legally posses them.

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
gunny it says they cant sell it but they can show it to you....my last 2 guns i purchased including my .357 they showed them to me without me having a id,,,, the handgun i picked it out and put money down on it for them to hold before my id card came in...guess it depends on the gun store

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Check the Firearms ID card bulletin board. By law it IS 30 days, but sometimes you have to pester 'em. I wrote my chief of police a note at 70 days, and had it 2 days later...this was transferring from a town directly next to ours, with a common school system. Basically everyone on one PD knows everyone on the other PD.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
if i give you a gun to hold in NJ its considered a transfer thats why gun clubs must register the members names who will "transfer" guns to other members(basically letting them shoot it) thats why some stores on advice of attorney following the law to the letter require it...

(a) No person, other than a licensed or registered retail or wholesale dealer, shall RECEIVE, purchase or otherwise ACQUIRE a rifle, shotgun or antique cannon, other than an antique rifle or shotgun, unless that person possesses and exhibits a valid
firearms purchaser identification card.

By handing you the handgun to hold,it meets the legal definition of receiving it. its just semantics but some stores will not take that risk in the REPUBLIK OF NJ..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts