New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was about to go to bed at 11:45 last night and noticed an orange flash in the back yard and thought a transformer blew but thought theres no poles that way went to the kitchen window and seen flames coming out the shed . i must have caught in just as it was getting ready to take off worst part is all of my good fishing poles got ruined[cry]
First time i ever had a fire , thats some scary crap.

·
Banned
5,619 Posts
I had a Fire one time, I was cooking Pizza in the oven, and I went to grab it with a paper towel, and the paper towel went up in flames. [eek] I picked it up and through it outside on the snow. [rofl]

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the shed door open when that storm came tru the only thing near the doorway was a rigid 18v cordless drill only thing i can think of was water got in it and made a short .

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
I had the shed door open when that storm came tru the only thing near the doorway was a rigid 18v cordless drill only thing i can think of was water got in it and made a short .
Not a chance.

Is there electric in that shed? If not then I would seriously look at arson. Unless it was struck by lightning fires just don't start.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a heavy duty extention cord that runs out there but i unplug it when im not out there and knowing a storm was comong i made sure it was unpluged and wraped up . after looking out there before i noticed i had 2 6v 7amp hr batterys that burned im just wondering if the wind blew somthing over in there and made contact but the thing is the wife was out back at 10 pm letting the dogs out and i seen the fire at 11;45 the storm was over around 7 so if somthing fell on the batterys it should have started sooner i would think, very odd

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
So the extension cord and your source of power to the shed was turned off/unplugged? Any oil rags or other chemicals there that might have leak or interacted and combusted? You didn't use any power equipment and store it where the hot muffler might have touched something like a plastic tarp or paper? Sometimes paper can smolder and smolder, etc. Then light up in flames an hour later.

Have you determined exactly where the fire started and narrowed that down to a 1 foot square area? Is it possible for you to figure out where most of the charring is? If you haven't compromised the shed or done any clean-up, you could give a courtesy call ( don't dial 911) to your local FD and ask them to send someone at their convenience to your home to investigate even though you put the fire out yourself the night before.

Anyone in your family smoke cigarettes? Any old chemicals or old fertlizer bags hanging around? Any charcoal bags stored in there? Just trying to help you think of possibilities...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Forget how it started !! That is in the past.

Is there anything we could do for you let us know. Do you need some yard stuff to get you going again ? I might have some extra fishing poles that I could give you if you want. Just let me know Fresh or Salt water?? Also got some extra shovels and yard stuff if needed.

I am sure the guys from NJH could help out and find almost everything that you may have lost. So just give us a heads up on what you need.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks njwhitetail i should be good the adjuster was here and said its a straight foward claim , even he said its odd how it happed . funny thing is is that a had a gas can in there which is nearly a round blog of goo but yet the last gallon of gas is still in the can [confused]

Northenhunter
The whole area probly covers a 2ft space there was no electric hooked up the only things there were was a ridgged drill 2 6v batterys gas can which still has the gas in it and 2 bottles of unopened fuel injector cleaner As for me im stumped losing all my rods sucks but not nowing what caused it sucks more .
like i said it could have been worse i could have lost my quad kayak lathe mill bandsaw and all kinds of machining tools so i guess i got lucky .

gas can with still gas in it - go figure

1 - 20 of 28 Posts