New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just get my fire arm id card in aug pick up a mossburg 835 was shooting with my step dad "clay shoot and trap shoot "it was great :D[up][up][up][up]i hope deer hunting will be fun

·
Registered
388 Posts
nice man!

Just curious, how long did it take your township to process your FID application? I dropped my application off last november, and they didnt get me my card until March... they really took their time with it.

also just curious, how old are you? I just turned 20 myself, it would be cool to have a peer to shoot/hunt with at some point. heh.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
my town took several months to process a simple address change on an existing card. They printed me again and all. Then the gave it to me with a typo...at least they fixed the typo fast.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
My original FID and hangun permit took over 6 months, but I applied for another handgun permit for the glock I won and got my permit back in 5 weeks.

The time process all depends upon the municipality. Some are quick, some are slow.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
3 months... that isn't bad at all. It took my town ~ 6 months to do an address change. Talk about BS.

David

·
Registered
388 Posts
One of the things that steams me the most about this, Is that the municipality is required by law, to process our applications within 30 days.

"The Permit to Purchase or FID shall be granted to a qualified applicant within 30 days from the date of receipt of the application for residents and 45 days for nonresident applicants."
- taken from http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=NJ

I dont know the formalities of the law, but it seems like the state thinks its ok for its municipalities to break its own laws![mad]

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Carlo,
That is only if the background invest is done. That is also required by the law.
There are court decisions on this with the most recent that I am aware of coming from Somerset Cty. It was held that the issuing agency is required to complete the background invest before any permit or ID card shall be issued.
There are many reasons why the invest do not get completed within the 30 days. Some are the applicants fault and some are the fault of the system which is used. Fingerprints being sent out etc.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Yea, you would think that by reading the law but they have what you might call the "fine print". LOL
Unfortunately, the invest can take a long period of time, especially if you are covered by NJSP. It's not the barracks fault, it's just the way it's set up. All apps turned in at the various barracks get sent to Trenton for approval and numbering.
Also, when a local dept sends the print cards out to the NJSP who forwards them to the FBI, they send them out in a batch. So the cards may wait to be shipped out for a period of time.
That's not to say that some local depts don't sit on the paperwork even when it's all back. But for the most part they are waiting.
The biggest by far delay we see is the lack of the applicants references to return the letters. They are either on vac, misplaced it etc. Guess what, that's nobodys fault but the reference.

Just some of the reasons why they take so long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts