New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
just asking why would you think he is joking??????
Did you see the price? The last three Brittanies I bought were all under a grand and they were natural hunters. What's with this "finished" stuff? So you can ask for another $2500. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
yea thats not all that crazy of a price that's what a well breed finished dogs sell for and more ....... it takes a lot of hours and dollars to get a dog finished trust me he is not making nothing just trying to get a little back ....I have a three year old setter that someone offered me 3000.00 as a finished two year old ...now I thought that was a joke

·
Registered
230 Posts
Fair, if not cheap for a "Finished" dog from some of the best lines in the Northeast. Sure, you can luck out with a pup from a backyard breeding, we all have. This is a dog from proven lines and top notch breeding. No, I don't know this breeder personally, but I knew her parents when I attempted field trialing and their lines have always performed.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I would buy that dog before I bought a dog titled started for 1200.00 ...that's what you need to watch for the guy that gets a pup pointing a bush and say started 1200.00 .. there a lot of that that happens

·
Registered
340 Posts
A good gundog with good bloodlines $1200 to $2000 as a puppy
Vaccinations $500
training $600-$1200 a month
I think it’s a good deal, I just wonder why someone would sell a good gun dog after they put all the money and more importantly the time in to him.
But Things happen and life gets in the way i know how that is.
If you look on gundogcentral finished dogs go for much more then that.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I bought a Brittany pup from Quail Hollow for $500.00 and returned her to have her trained for 3 months and the total cost was $1,850.00. That was 17 years ago.

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
I bought a Brittany pup from Quail Hollow for $500.00 and returned her to have her trained for 3 months and the total cost was $1,850.00. That was 17 years ago.
What's with this "training" business. If it's obedience training, I understand to a certain extent. These dogs are NATURAL hunters. If they are not, then they are virtually hopeless. I saw a guy in my Gun Club buy a "started" dog. Once the first shot was fired, the dog ran back to the truck and hid in the bed. The dog either has it or it doesn't. Obedience is another issue. I'm not going to pay a $2500 premium for some of that. A famous dog trainer once said: "Great gun dogs are BORN, not made" or something like that. LOL

·
Registered
355 Posts
What's with this "training" business. If it's obedience training, I understand to a certain extent. These dogs are NATURAL hunters. If they are not, then they are virtually hopeless. I saw a guy in my Gun Club buy a "started" dog. Once the first shot was fired, the dog ran back to the truck and hid in the bed. The dog either has it or it doesn't. Obedience is another issue. I'm not going to pay a $2500 premium for some of that. A famous dog trainer once said: "Great gun dogs are BORN, not made" or something like that. LOL
Obedience training is the first step. And yes, some dogs have it and some just don't, however every dog needs to be "trained" or "finished" to be a GREAT hunting dog, Mine is 10 months old and is a Natural, from a line of Champions that are graded and scored. Some make and some don't. She points on every bird, squirrel and rabbit, holds well, and id not gun shy, But it will take hundreds of hours for me to get her to were she need to be and constant reassurance that it is done each and every time. You either pay someone to do it of invest the time your self. I will be doing both, and will have invested a lot more than this asking price by the time she is 1 1/2 years old.

A not so famous dog trainer once told me, Your Gun dog is just like your spouse, love them[kiss], take great care of them, But if you let them get away with something "Just Once" it is the new norm.[cry]
River.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Libby is a Finished dog, She will point and remain standing though the flush and you can return to the dog without her moving. She is priced properly with her training, handling skills and Age, as she turned 3 in May. We compete in AKC field trials and she is not ranging enough to be a top contender. She would be perfect for someone wanting to compete in foot handling akc stakes or hunting.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My dog a Gsp is s natural pointer but steady to wing or shot whichever you prefer needs Training for most.
Some pups don’t retreve naturally and have to be fore fetched or encouraged.
Having natural instinct is definitely the first step which it helps to be from a good bloodline but to get them where they need to be takes time, training and lots of birds
For most upland hunters it’s not about killing the birds it’s about seeing the dog work and the abilities of the dog
Bragging about how long their dog can hold point I heard someone say that they can light a smoke and pour a cup of coffee and the dog will still be on point when they’re finished and he wasn’t joking. It’s about what the full potential of the dog can be and it cost money and lots of time And birds

·
Registered
235 Posts
@ the OP, don’t let the few negative posts discourage you....this is a hunting site so your post is appropriate....Just because they don’t like the asking price doesn’t mean anything. A great hunting dog is a great hunting dog,....but EVERY dog has flaws, it’s just a matter of what they are and if the owner or buyer can overlook them..I’ve had beagles for about 25 years and seen lots and lots of them run, going to trials and hunting with other people...I’ve seen dogs that had all kinds of titles and thought the judges must have been blind or got paid off. I’ve hunted over “grade” dogs that were awesome and the owners would not take thousands of dollars for them. I do believe in a dog either has it or doesn’t......it’s just how and when it is brought out..... Most people can never be at the level of a professional athlete no matter how much training and practice they have....doesn’t mean they aren’t good...... but the big question is, would you pay your hard earned money to watch them perform .....Remember the saying “One mans junk is another mans treasure”.......GLWS

·
Registered
340 Posts
I’m sure she will make someone a fine hunting dog
I’m not sure if you tried gun dogs online or gun dog Central yet but it’s worth looking at

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
I guess I am one of those "lucky hunters". I bought my first Brittany around 30 years ago from a private breeder. I got her at 6 or 7 weeks of age. When I got her home, I put a Pheasant wing on a fishing pole, whirled it around and tosssed it on the ground. She immediately pointed staunchly. About a few years later, I entered her in a North Jersey Brittany Club Shoot to Retrieve competition. It simulated real hunting. Out of about 15 dogs, she placed first. That's what I mean by "great dogs are BORN, not made. She never received ANY formal training. As another poster said, it's just like an athelete. Some are naturally gifted. With training, all can get better. Now if you don't want to leave anything to chance and pickup a fully trained, proven dog and pay $3500 for it, that's your business. I had 2 more Brittanies after her and they were not as gifted as the first, but certainly not lacking enough to want me to drop that kind of cash.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I guess I am one of those "lucky hunters". I bought my first Brittany around 30 years ago from a private breeder. I got her at 6 or 7 weeks of age. When I got her home, I put a Pheasant wing on a fishing pole, whirled it around and tosssed it on the ground. She immediately pointed staunchly. About a few years later, I entered her in a North Jersey Brittany Club Shoot to Retrieve competition. It simulated real hunting. Out of about 15 dogs, she placed first. That's what I mean by "great dogs are BORN, not made. She never received ANY formal training. As another poster said, it's just like an athelete. Some are naturally gifted. With training, all can get better. Now if you don't want to leave anything to chance and pickup a fully trained, proven dog and pay $3500 for it, that's your business. I had 2 more Brittanies after her and they were not as gifted as the first, but certainly not lacking enough to want me to drop that kind of cash.
i still dont think you get it.... im not even sure if you under stand what a fully finished dog is .. my son started training dogs at 10 years old at 12 he was good at it.... what I am trying to say is it don't take rocket science to train a dog... but to truly turn one out that is fully finished takes time and money...if you do it or a trainer do'es it....ether way your gonna pay and as far as a good breeding yes it helps I own dogs out of long gone boston , kings bomber .but at the end of the day it was birds birds and more birds that make my dogs what they are and birds cost money...... also can you leave you dog on point and go back to the truck for a beer and bite to eat then go back and he's still on point I can but it took time and money ..a hell of a lot more then 3500.00

1 - 20 of 25 Posts