New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to upgrade to a 4 stroke for a while now. Tired of dealing with fickle two strokes. I put my 8 horse in the shop to get tuned up and a new water pump and got the phone call last week that my drive shaft is stuck in the power head. Without investing a ton of money into it, it's pretty much junk now. So, ended breaking down and getting a new yamaha 15. My buddy tried to sell me on buying a new efi Suzuki like he did, but I figure I couldn't go wrong with the yamaha. Any do's and donts? Especially with the break in period?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
That's a heavy motor for that box....yamaha's rock though loved my 2 stroke 15 ....

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Not terrible. I know it's a lot of motor, but I'd rather have the power there if I need it then buy something and get in a situation and wish I had a little more.
I don't think anybody is referring to the horsepower, at least I'm not.... It's the weight, that's a heavy motor(for that rig)... My 08 two-stroke 15 short shaft Yamaha weighed 74lbs... Your thrust to weight ratio is far better with the lower horsepower motors as far as two strokes are concerned.... Especially now that in a sneakbox all your total weight in terms of percentage is abaft the beam..., get some Hydro fins for it and as mentioned get a tiller handle extension that way you can sit as forward as possible in that little cockpit

also definitely get a transom saver bracket put on that if you trailer it a lot with the motor or long distances...

but it is a great motor I'm sure it runs so quietly and Yamaha's just plain rock I loved mine..... I just bought a brand-new Evinrude Etec 30hp Oil injected 2 stroke.... I want to stay with Yamaha but couldn't find anything that really fit the bill for what I needed....good luck

Reactions: sschevykid
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.