New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the story of my hunt on January 7, 2006.

I get into the woods about 640 with my father. I saw about a billion squirrels and had a chipmunk try to burrow in my ear. Around 815 am I ask my dad on the radio if he has seen anything. Nope and either have I.

About 830 I hear something running towards me and I figure it is a squirrel. Nope, I see 2 big does. Nice. I put the muzzleloader up, look through the scope, and I can't find the deer. I look back and now I see 10 does. I pick out their crossing spot and as soon as one enter, bang. The smoke clears and I expect to see a down deer. It was a 35 yard shot from my elevated rock. Nothing, but 3 deer still standing there. I get down to seach for blood and I find hair, but no blood. I get my dad on the radio and tell him I missed. He told me he would push where the deer went too. He finally gets to where I am and he pushed the wrong area. He took over my spot and I went to where the deer were.

I get to the end of the area and see 5 deer take off running up a hill onto another property. I head to where they came from to see if there are any straglers. I get to where they were and what do I see. Blood. Nice I hit her. She must have bedded down. I call my dad over to look for her. I spot blood on the other side of the rock wall and up she goes at the same time. No shot opportunity. So we follow the trail since there is an understanding between the properties with retrieving animals. We follow her to a whole in the fence along Route 80. Great. My dad says, I guess she is gone. I told him, they can't do anything if I don't have a gun. I put the gun down and track her through the brush along Route 80. My father headed back to towards the cars. I followed until she crossed back across the fence line. I continued and jumped her further down. I tried to follow but never found blood. She had two options. Run to the road or hide. I walked back to my dad and told him what happened and that I thought she was still there.

We got the truck and drove towards the area. This time we went back with guns. I followed the blood trail and it lead to a thick briar patch. Then up she went again. This time along the fence line. I tracked the small droplets of blood past the hole in the fence. Nice, she isn't along the highway. She ran towards and across two fields back onto my property.

I started tracking small droplets across the field and my dad moved the car towards where she was heading. I am halfway through the field when my dad calls me over to him. The doe we had been tracking was bedded down on the side of the field no more than 20 yards from the truck. I walk over and give the fatal hit at 130 pm.

We had tracked her for 5 hours. She probably moved about 2 miles. Those little droplets are hard to see in a gr [no swearing please] field. Unfortunately I had her hit low on the 1st shot. Gut shot. She is probably the biggest doe I have taken. Pictures to follow.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Cograts on getting the deer, and making a big effort to recover her.
Garry

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Congrats Mike, sounds like you really earned that one.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, guys. I do have pictures I just have to ge them off my camera and upload them. Just takes too long with my dial up to do. It was a sight to see yesterday. Me walking with my face less than a foot from the ground looking for blood. What a tracking experience. My dad couldn't believe I was finding the blood I did. Some spots were less than the size of a pencil point.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Great effort tracking Mike. Congrats!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.