New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a long time coming,but Friday morning 11/11 it happened.The cherry is popped after 25 yrs,I harvested a doe in new york state.This will probably be my most memorable deer.I just wish my best freind BHC was their to share the moment with me.I will follow up with picture and the story.

B

·
0 Posts
Dick, Congrats :D[up] Im very happy for you, and really do wish I could of been there to see the smile on your face popping your archery cherry:p, but you know the situation here with my aunt. Also I already put a post up about your 1st one on SUNDAY morning

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Congrats, and I thought I had waited a long time.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Way to go! [up]

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I remember my first bow kill like it was yesterday, it ment more to me than any other deer i've taken with the gun. Welcome to the brotherhood Buckfever![up][up][up]

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Well deserved. All I got to say is to be able to go out year after year for 25 years looking for your first bow kill shows lots of desire. Hope there's more kills to follow. We have been hunting property in callicoon center for 7 years now and I have yet to kill a buck with the bow up there. Got 1 doe 5 years ago and killed 4 bucks with the rifle. Hit a few bucks with the bow never found em though, Missed like 6 also. But like you i'll keep going,My day will come.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Way to go!!! I can still remember my first. It was only last year. LOL:D[up]

·
Banned
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright,looks like I will be waiting a while for the pictures so heres the story.First morning,11/10 at first light I grunted in a 5pt buck.He came in grunting with his head down,I drew my bow,he stopped at about 40 yrds broadside and I let the arrow fly.I shot right over his back.Forgot to bend at the waist.At about 8:15 a.m grunted in a nice 8pt probably low 130 class,but did not present a shot.The 8pt worked his way to my hunting partner,10yrds away,he missed.We were both very disgusted with ourselves,so we got down and went for breakfast.Over breakfast, I decided to try the area were I gun hunt.I got in my stand around noon,and was going to sit the rest of the afternoon.At about 3:30 I was playing with the grunt tube and a huge 10pt came in.Got within 80yrds and that was it.Was wishing I had the Shotgun in my hands at that time.Then about 4:15 I saw another scrub racked buck on the other side of the ridge,no shot.About 4:40,I got the call on the radio,my buddy who missed the 8pt,shot a nice 7pt with 16 inch spread about 170pounds.Real nice deer,hopefully I can post pictures.Next morning I decided to go in the same stand as the night before hoping that big 10pt would come by.About 9:15 a doe comes walking down my side of the ridge.I thought to myself, let her p [no swearing please] its the rut and its on.She passed under me 10yrds away.I thought their would be a buck coming,she kept looking back nervously.She went down the ridge.About 20 minutes later she started coming back up towards me.I said to myself its been 25yrs,if she presents me with a shot I am going to take her.She walked by broadside at about 38yrds.I put the pin behind her shoulder and let the arrow fly.I seen the arrow fly,looked hit her in the shoulder area,and deflected up threw the neck.I waited about 45 minutes,got down and retrieved my arrow.It did not look good,Isaid to myself,Oh no here we go again.The arrow had hair and mucus on it but minimal blood.There was no blood on the ground so I decided to go where I last saw her run.I made circles where I last saw her run.I searched for about 20 minutes and finally found a blood trail that helen keller could have followed.I knew I was going to find this one.Walked the blood trail,And found her laying about 60yrds away.It was the best feeling of my life,finally after 25yrs of season after season,their she layed.This doe will be my trophy of a lifetime.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Great story. Way to stick it out.

B

·
0 Posts
Im so happy for him[up]

Dick, what we need to do now is for all 3 of us to harvest some IOWA BRUISERS[up]

B

·
0 Posts
Question, your colored blind... did the blood really stick out or was it because of the sun lite hitting it?
he was surprised he saw the blood, but like he said there was so much of it

·
Banned
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mystic,if I am able to see blood on the ground,anybody can follow the trail.Their was a ton of it, in pools.Thats when I knew this one would not get away from me.I really do not go out alone with the bow because of that reason.I have trouble seeing the blood.that muzzy 100grain did its job.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts