New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my quest began almost 2 years ago while recording some interviews with my 90 year old grandpa who is a WWII vet. He was in the Normandy Invasion on D-Day, Dog Green Sector, First wave. He survived that and was in the battle of the buldge, liberated Dachau and many more incredible campaigns. He truly is my hero. I wear on of his dog tags around my neck and have for about 6 years now. When I think I am having a bad day I look at that tag and say " stop being such a $%^&@#$" no ones shooting at you, its a good day. I posted on here awhile back and had a ton of support in locating an m1 one and making a shooting day possible. Tons of members pm'd me and offered up there rifles saying they would be honored to have him shoot there m1. I had a few deals in the works with some members but they never panned out. I got married in September of this year and also bought a house so a 2k rifle was just out of the budget. MY grandpas dream of shooting the m1 again was a constant thought in my head and although I know I could borrow someone's to shoot I wanted to own one that he can handle, shoot and then become an heirloom. I want to be able to tell my kids one day that there grandfather was a WWII vet and shot that rifle personally, pass it down through the generations, it is very important that we do not forget the sacrifices people like him have made to have a country like we do today. A HUGE THANK YOU to Gogreen from this site who gave me an incredible deal on the gun and was great to do business with. You have no idea how happy you will have made my grandfather. I am going to present him with the rifle on thanksgiving day when he comes over and will be ready to rip a few rounds if he is up for it. Also I have received dozens of pm's from members who have expressed interest In meeting him. If there is enough interest I will set up a date and a bunch of you guys can come up by me and meet him and listen to some stories, it makes him very happy when younger generations are interested in what he went through. He always mentions how so many forget. It would be great to get a bunch of guys together. He's been a celebrity lately with newspaper and radio interviews although this annoys his girlfriend a bit.....shell say " ohhh boy, again the the war!!" You know how younger women are ! (she's 87 hahaha) Thanks again for all those who reached out during my search and thank you GOgreen! I really appreciate it! I was just talking to the wife before while holding the rifle and I said if it wasn't for this rifle, I wouldn't be here, his abilities and shooting skills allowed him to stay alive, get home have my mother and then I was born. God bless the 30 06!

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I tried to upload a pic of the rifle laying on his uniform and some other artifacts I have from him but it wont let me. If I can send the pic to someone and they could put it up that would be great.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to kill a deer I NY before the season ends , before or after grandpa will rip some rounds off then in a glass case she goes!

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
very cool and thanx for sharing. my grandfather was in the war as well. I don't know the specifics as he would NEVER talk about it. He passed away over a decade ago but I still miss him. cherish those memories. in todays modern world I hate that everyone records everything (seeing a 1000 iphones held up at a concert annoys the shit out of me) but based on what you have shared with us I would totally keep a record of some sort of that experience. Nick

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I always wanted to buy my gramps a gi 1911 since it was his favorite gun in ww2 but I never have enough money. He's too old to shoot it but I think he would love it.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Thanksgiving wow! How appropriate.I see tear's of joy in your future.I remember when your quest started.Very glad to see this saga going forward.Priceless!!!!!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Man I almost pushed the button on that gun today it was a good deal...And now after hearing your story I am sure glad I did not hope you both enjoy as I am sure you will

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys, and yes I am 28 and pretty up to date on technology but I use it to my advantage, WHENEVER he starts talking I record him on my phone whether its just audio or video, and I don't tell him im doing it so its very candid. For example today I went up to my moms to make him breakfast, after he told me I cooked the eggs wrong he started telling a story about living in a fox hole in the middle of winter during the battle of the buldge with almost no supplies, I clicked record on my phone and just let him go. fascination stories about survival and what hard time REALLY WERE. We have grown soft. These were men who were battle tested and pushed the limits. Again, I would love to get a date set up and have a bunch of njh members meet up and talk with him. Its what keep him going.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Loadedforbear, emailed you the pic

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pm me. I have another pic. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks mike!!!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Such a fantastic gift, For your whole family!..Please set up a date, me and my son would love to listen. My 11 year old is fascinated with my grandfather even though he didn't get a chance to meet him. (He was a WWII vet as well) My son has so much respect and is so enamored with WWII vets it's unreal. Good job one shot!!

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys. I'm thinking between Thanksgiving and 6 day. After that he flys west with his girlfriend to Arizona for the winter. He's into the younger broads. She's 87. Ha. Whoever would be interested post on this thread and or pm me and we will pick a date that works for the majority.

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
Nice Dave. Glad you finally got one. How'd you here about it??[rofl]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts