New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well decide this year to hunt NJ Bears Season.. After buying left over permits for both myself and Sonia. I also bought a Newark WaterShed Permit.. Right off the bat huge thanks to a few NJH site members.. Few guys offered areas for Me and Sonia to Hunt. One members save me alot of $$$$$ by letting us stay at his place...

Monday and Tuesday both myself and Sonia sat sun up to sun down over looking some great swamps and bear trails..But No Luck. Sonia had to work for the remainder of the week.. Took Wedsnday off to dry out and catch up.. Thursday I hunted hard and had a broken Horned buck walked and but still no Bears.. Even though Bear Scat was fresh every night on the trails.. Friday came Climbed into the stand and sat till 1130 with nothing moving..No shots nothings in the area....Then my phone rang.. Someone ( stranger) call me to ask if I was bear hunting and wanted to haverset a bear!!..My answer " Hell Yes".. His answer was meet at your truck at 1pm.. So I agreed.

I met this gentlemen name Scott..Who Had Spotted a bear a few days ago walking a rock cropping on the edge of a lake feeding on berry and pin oaks.. So I said "Hell great way to break up a mid day boredum".. We drove up a access road to the entrance of State Land/ Watershed property.. Then we hiked in to his row boat he used for duck hunting..I felt like I was in canada.. We rowed out to a rock point to glass at the rock area this bear was seen.. 30 minutes of glassing and she showed. We had to wait a few minutes for the shot ..but My Savage f210 slug barked away and dropped her on the rock face along the lakes shore.. It was a day for me that I cant stop thinking about..My first Bear ever, Was able to load her in the row boat for the journey to the truck....only down fall to Hunt was Sonia was not there to take the shot!!!

At the check in I found out my bear was a trouble bear.. Tattooed , Microchip..

Her History showed 5 total home brake in and one construction trailer entry!!

She was 5 yrs old..

Thanks for reading my Hunt!!

Capt Joe

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Nice work!! Gotta love a bear with history.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Awesome hunt!! You deserve it after putting in that time during the week....how did the "stranger" get your number and know you were bear hunting tho...that seems kind of strange to me lol

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Amazing story and hunt Joe Congrats on a great bear. Wish you had some pics of the bear loaded in the row boat
Jon.. we were taking on water while rowing .. 10 ft row boat three guys and my bear.. Its was alot of laughter while rowing and bailing water..

Im havng a full mount done because she has the White Chevron chest patch..

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Great story Capt. Joe! Sounds more like a hunt in Canada than in New Jersey. That was very nice of the man to help you out. It was also good to hear that you took a problem bear. It doesn't get much better than that! Congratulations! [up][up][up]:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.