New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out saturday for about 4 hours looking for the buck i shot friday and couldn't find it. Went out again this morning from 7 a.m. until about 11:30 a.m. and after searching everywhere i could i came up empty. Well my only thought is maybe he did not die and will recover. Thought i put a good shot on him. Had good blood trail for about 80 yards before it started to die out. Had good blood on my arrow and had brown hair on the arrow as well. I hope this never happens again. Makes you think twice before releasing the arrow again. Feel bad for that deer now.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I needed all the help i could get i guess but, after two days of looking through thickets and everywhere i could i guess i won't find him now. This was my last search, sorry to say.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Can't say you didn't try.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Too bad. What I am about to say is kind of cruel... but... I would take a walk around where you last saw your deer's blood and "smell" around.

One year my aunt hit a buck with an arrow... couldn't find it... two weeks later she "smelled" it... the damn thing ended dead 30 yards from the freaking tree stand.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I kept going over from where i hit him and the trail he took to where i lost the blood and then i went through all the sticker bushes i could in the area. I think i did a pretty good search. Checked al heavy brush, down the hill on both sides and even walked the dirt road that goes through the property. I will always keep my eye out for him when i am walking to and from my stand for a while now.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
It happens tuna. All I can say is that you did your best so dont get discouraged. Good luck the rest of the season.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Just a question, is there any water source nearby? If you haven't checked there, I'd take one last stab at it there.

Sorry about your misfortune.
David

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
If you had good blood on the arrow and no green, it probably was a liver shot. They can survive for up to a day. Watch for birds, not just buzzards, but also crows. They will lead you to him, but don't be surprised if it's a long way from where you shot him.

Luknikk, she says thanks for the compliment, but sometime even the best tracker can't find some. What matters if that you put in a good effort to recover the animal.

You've done your part Tunatales01, don't let it get to you, you gave it your best [up]

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I lost a doe earlier this year. I know I hit her good cause I knocked her back 3 ft after I shot.Looked and looked but nothing. At least there might have been other animals that benifited from that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't know all the facts in the story,but a heavy,bright red blood trail that lasts up to 100 yards or so usually means a non - fatal muscle wound.Don't beat yourself up over it,you certainly have put your time and effort in to try and recover the deer.Just my two cents, I hope it helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts