New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally road "shotgun" to my daughter on 80% of the deer hunts this year. I find myself becoming more confident in her going through the motions of mounting, taking the safety off and selecting the time to take the shot and becoming more of a spectator. She and I talked last night coming home from a Federation meeting about filiming the hunts next season and it would give us the chance to review the hunt from the blind while waiting for us to track the deer.

I know there are a lot of members of this forum that film hunts and a bunch of them are very good quality. I am looking for advice on camera purchases for the purpose of filiming deer and turkey hunts. You guys are my go to for unbiased recommendations on most of my new gear purchases these days as you don't know who is writing some of the online reviews. I want the ability to have the flip out view screen so my eye doesn't have to be mounted, to be able to play back footage on the camera and if possible, to do so in slow motion while in the field. Clearly, I think it needs to have decent light gathering if that is even an option.

It's never to early to begin thinking about next season.

Cheers boys!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
You may have seen some of my videos posted on this site. The quality is not great, but certainly good enough to review the shot afterwards. I use an old Panasonic VDR-D50P/PC palmcorder. It records onto a mini-dvd. Now I would recommend one that goes right to a hardrive. I am sure they still make very similar camcorders. The one I have has a 60X zoom , low light settings, image stabilization , flip open LCD screen and is small and light in weight. I paid about $300 for it ten years ago. You should be able to get something similar for about $500 now. Good Luck whatever you come up with. This adds a whole different dimension to the hunt.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I started filming my hunts in 2012 with an older Sony palmcorder. I now use a JVC camcorder that backs up to SD card. My videos are not the TV quality but I can review the shot sequence and have a permanent memory of the hunt.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
There are some very good point and shoot cameras out there that take excellent video as well as excellent stills. You get the best of both worlds. Many are reasonably priced.
Google point and shoot super zoom cameras. Depending on your needs you don't need to spend a whole lot of money. Depending on your money, buy the best for your needs....

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
I believe you miss a lot of the experience when you try to film everything. A little here and there is OK, and some photos. The best recorder is your eyes and brain, as primitive as that may sound. When I video my son's football games I miss a lot of the little things that occur. I do like watching the films later though. I wish someone else could do it! Good luck with your new camera![up]

·
Registered
727 Posts
Sky is the limit when it comes to electronics. Just some friendly advice and my personal opinion. Whatever camera you get (about all are HD and take great video) make sure it has a "LANC" port so that you can buy a "controller" for it. Besides the controller, a tree arm for filming in a tree and a tripod for filming off of the ground. It is hard as hell to lay down "good" footage without the latter. There's nothing worse than trying to view footage that was taken while the zoom is being hammered in and out and is so shaky that you need motion sickness meds prior to watching it. Those are the guys that will tell you you dont need a tree arm or tri pod LOL. Good luck

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I believe you miss a lot of the experience when you try to film everything. A little here and there is OK, and some photos. The best recorder is your eyes and brain, as primitive as that may sound. When I video my son's football games I miss a lot of the little things that occur. I do like watching the films later though. I wish someone else could do it! Good luck with your new camera![up]
Agree! You do miss alot trying to orient camera etc.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
You can also Google "solo cam hunter" and find lots of additional resources there. A bunch of sites have good info in addition to the good advice given here.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Sky is the limit when it comes to electronics. Just some friendly advice and my personal opinion. Whatever camera you get (about all are HD and take great video) make sure it has a "LANC" port so that you can buy a "controller" for it. Besides the controller, a tree arm for filming in a tree and a tripod for filming off of the ground. It is hard as hell to lay down "good" footage without the latter. There's nothing worse than trying to view footage that was taken while the zoom is being hammered in and out and is so shaky that you need motion sickness meds prior to watching it. Those are the guys that will tell you you dont need a tree arm or tri pod LOL. Good luck
Great advise right here.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I will be taking some video of deadonshot's hunt tomorrow with a Sony Handycam DCR-SR45 and a tree arm for the first time. If I get anything good I'll try to post it on here. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Here's what I use mainly for fishing. It's waterproof, shock proof, great quality videos, and less than half the price of a go-pro.
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX...1171&sr=8-9&keywords=nikon+coolpix+waterproof

Mounts perfectly on the boat, canoe, and treestand using this mount:
http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-C-Clamp...8&qid=1421431104&sr=8-3&keywords=camera+mount
I use a Panasonic Lumix that is similar to the Nikon. But you have to give it to GoPro for brilliant marketing. There is nothing special about the brand, it is just branded as the camera you have to own if you want video of any outdoor activities. The others will do just as well or better for half the cost. I applaud their marketing because it made the owner a billionaire. But I must admit that it would be nice to have a remote to start video which you can get with some of the GoPros. I have to manually turn on my Panasonic which is not always a big deal, but sometimes it's nice to start it remotely without a lot of movement if filming hunting. For fishing, it's not an issue.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I use a Panasonic Lumix that is similar to the Nikon. But you have to give it to GoPro for brilliant marketing. There is nothing special about the brand, it is just branded as the camera you have to own if you want video of any outdoor activities. The others will do just as well or better for half the cost. I applaud their marketing because it made the owner a billionaire. But I must admit that it would be nice to have a remote to start video which you can get with some of the GoPros. I have to manually turn on my Panasonic which is not always a big deal, but sometimes it's nice to start it remotely without a lot of movement if filming hunting. For fishing, it's not an issue.
My buddy has a go pro and all of the various gadgets for it: head mount, chest mount etc. It has a bigger body than the gopro, but the Nikon works for me. I dont care about capturing the moment as much as I care about landing an 8lb steelhead. I position the camera in a way I think is going to pick up the action. If I dont get good footage - oh well. And if I do - great. Sometimes I find the camera a hassle and it never comes out of my bag.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts