New Jersey Hunters banner

FID so PI**ED OFF

4K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  maverick87 
#1 ·
Ok so here is my horror story....so a little over a year ago i put in my application hoping it would come in before i left for Iraq...Of course it didnt...So i deploy overseas while im over there my FID comes in one of the officers calls my wife and lets her know its in...another officer (who is a friend of mine) drops it off at the house so it wouldnt get lost at the police station.....so far so good !!!!

So after my tour i come back home....I still need to go to the PD to get my index finger print put on the card....So i'm home for a couple of days and decide to go to Dicks to check some stuff out....they have a good price on a muzzleloader so i figure ill buy it...give the guy my FID card and he starts the paper work....

Now here comes the good part....So he says sorry cant do it your FID address dosnt match your drivers lic address....thats when i noticed that my FID has Chester as my residence which it is...but my DL has Flanders because where i live in chester we use the Flanders post office [wallmad]

Now the best part....So i go to the PD and explain my situation.... the investigater is real cool and says it should be no big deal just need to type you out a new card....but of course the chief is on vacation and wont be in for a few days...

so the investigator calls and talks to my wife (i was otta town) he says he spoke with the chief and that since Chester is where i reside that is what has to be on the FID...

so what the F**K do i do???? I just got back home today and went to the PD but the office is closed cause of the holiday

only thing i can think of is have the pd write me a letter and explain why the address dont match up...anyone ever run into this before???

See less See more
#4 ·
My old house was a rural PO mailbox number, ex: box 650a,b,c,d,e, etc. it was confusing for emergancy services so they changed it to accending numbers on the mailbox and some stores allowed it then finally flat out refused until I had both FID and DL changed to match.

#6 ·
Your NJ FPID and drivers license should have your current resident address, which is the address of your house as if you were to mail a letter there.

Example, I used to live in Hopatcong but my address on my DL and NJ FPID was Andover because Andover post office delivered my mail.

#9 ·
This is especially an outrage in your case because of your military service.

I had a similar problem when I changed my FID from Paterson to Parsipanny several years ago. I got the card in a reasonable amount of time. When I went to use it to make a firearm purchase the card number didn't match the number on file with the State Police. It was transposed. I went back to Parsippany PD and they corrected the error in a timely manner. Parsippany claimed it was Paterson's mistake, I have no way of knowing because I had surendered tho old card.

#14 ·
Your FID and DL should have your residence address. You need to have your DL changed. There is a mailing address and residence address for the DL when you apply. Make sure the MVC puts the residence address on the DL. All mail relating to the MVC will go to your mailing address. It can even be a hundred miles away or in a different state. Both addresses will show on NCIC, but that is not your concern. You can change your DL address HERE. You enter your residence address first then check the box for a different mailing address.

#15 ·
thanks PK90

I thought that DL needed to have your mailing address only...

Just buy one in NY. There is no background check or ID required for muzzleloaders, except the Encore.
I know i can pick up a ML in an other state with no problems....but its just the fact i should be able to go into any store with my FID and purchass any gun i choose

#16 ·
I know i can pick up a ML in an other state with no problems....but its just the fact i should be able to go into any store with my FID and purchass any gun i choose
True, and it's a shame FPID is required in this state. Originally got mine in 1980 and had to update name and address to match DL in order to purchase more. The DL and FPID match went into effect within the last 5 or 10 yrs, I believe. Get your DL address changed and you'll be good to go. ;)

#18 ·
Example, I used to live in Hopatcong but my address on my DL and NJ FPID was Andover because Andover post office delivered my mail.
Same with me. I live in Byram, which has no post offic. So My DL and FPID say Andover-which is my post office. But I'm surprised that Dick's made such a stink-the Guy couldn't see that the street address and zip code were the same??

#19 ·
Meanwhile during this whole proccess the criminal on the street has already aquired 5 guns and knocked over a liquor store and a 7/11!What must it take to stop the infringment of the law abidding gun owners?Welcome to the planet of the apes!

#22 ·
This is terrible. I agree with taking a trip to MVC and having your DL info changed. I wonder if you could even get a change of address sticker for the back, you might be able to do that online.

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Thank you for your service! [up]

#23 ·
My cousin just had this exact problem a month ago.
I'm his cousin that had this problem. I was so excited to have my FID that I didnt even notice until I was on my way home that they got my township wrong. My DL says Millstone and they put Perrineville on my FID which is the section of Millstone that I live in. I turned back around to the police station furiously and they said that they couldn't do anything except have me re-apply [wallmad][wallmad][wallmad]. The officer there said that if anyone gave me a problem to just have them call the police station and they would square everything away. I havent bought a gun with it yet so I don't know if its gonna work. If iot doesnt, I'm going to try and just have the address changed on my DL to avoid another 3 months of waiting for another FID. Hopes this helps and good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.