New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone! First of all, I apologize for any redundancies. I've been looking online at the laws and regulations, and even spoke to a firearms instructor. He wasn't positive about the answers I'm looking for.

For my birthday, my boyfriend is getting me a Mossberg 500. I have handled guns before, but I'm not an expert. We are getting a home soon, so I was nervous to be left alone and wanted a home defense weapon. I have been shooting in PA with his family, but it was always a handgun. Everyone I know that owns a gun in NJ primarily has bought a pistol or something and I've heard mixed answers as to how to lawfully possess a shotgun. Some say you only need an FID. Others insist I only need to voluntarily register it.

The gun belongs to someone in state, and I don't want to have it before I am legally allowed to. However, it's a personal sale. I am sending my application in for my FID, but is there anything else required for a shotgun? Every time I ask around, I can't get consistent answers and I don't want to ask the police department because I don't believe my township is probably very well versed in gun laws. I'm about to join NJ2AS for this reason. Anyway, anyone acquire a shotgun this way? Sorry again. I just need a straight answer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also I was told that since it holds 8 rounds, I need a plug kit so it is limited to 3 rounds. I was under the impression that this was a strictly hunting law situation. If I am not hunting with it, do I still need a plug kit?

I was told 26" overall length with an 18" barrel is considered legal. What about a pistol grip? Right now that's all it has. I'm looking at ATI adjustable stocks, so I'm changing it anyway. But for the time being, is a pistol grip illegal as well on this shotgun since its considered a breaching gun?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
you do not have to plug the tube to 3 unless you are taking it out hunting..the pistol grip is fine on a home defense shotgun. adjustable stock needs to be pinned, at least it does on AR platforms. hope this helps some

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, guys. I'm going to check that site out and now I'll just be waiting on my FID to be approved. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
1.) You only need an FID to purchase a shotgun and nothing else, so I would suggest you apply for one. If the sale is a private sale, you just show seller your FID and then fill out the certificate of eligibility that was posted above (aka transer form). You keep a copy of the transfer form and the seller keeps a copy.

2.) NEVER (never ever ever) register a shotgun or rifle... ever.

3.) Pistol grip on a shotgun is ok for a pump, so you're good to go with the Mossberg 500. I would suggest the marinecoat edition so you don't have to worry about rust. http://www.impactguns.com/mossberg-just-in-case-shotgun-package-marinecoat-orange-tube-mustbe21yearsold52340-015813523400.aspx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm confused about this voluntary registration. Why is it that I'm being told to go ahead and register it, but then like you said, some people have been adamently against it.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I noticed in your question your nervous about staying home alone. I would also strongly look into a security sytem or panic buttons for yourself and your home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts