New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading several of the topics in this forum, I have a question I hope someone can shed some light on.
I have decided to get back into hunting with shotgun, after bow hunting for 15 years. All of my firearms were purchased by my father for me, when I was under the age of 18. He still has all of the firearms at his house. If I understand the laws, I cannot take possession of the firearms until I receive my FID, Can I still hunt (with shotgun), even I do not have a FID? Do you have to carry your FID card with you when hunting?
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Technically speaking, you can hunt without a FID card. Your hunting license gives you that right. You cannot own a gun without the FID though. But with that said, most cops do not know the regs concerning this and if stopped they can hassle the crap out of you. Your best bet is get one. In the meantime if you are looking to go hunting before you get it, you can legally. Just make sure that you are doing everything completely legal like. Firearm should be cased and unloaded. Ammo should be in a different location than firearm. I usually put my gun in my truck's cab with the ammo in the bed of it.

Good luck,
David

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I do not own an FID card, and I am from PA. I do not plan on getting one either, since ALL of my firearms were purchased legally in PA. I dont have any pistols here, but I now have all my rifles and shotguns with me.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
If I understand the laws, I cannot take possession of the firearms until I receive my FID, Can I still hunt (with shotgun), even I do not have a FID? Do you have to carry your FID card with you when hunting?
Technically, no.

To hunt with a firearm, you are required to have a valid firearm hunting liscence.

The FID card is only for the purchase of firearms within the State of NJ. It states on the card:
"...is hereby granted permission to purchase rifles and shotguns pursuant to provisions of NJS2C:58-3 with amendmants and supplements."

Its good to have if you ever want to buy a new firearm.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
You cannot own a gun without the FID though
You cannot purchase a firearm without one. You are allowed to posses a firearm in your home. It's in the Bill of Rights.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response so far. That is one great thing about this forum. On several other boards, the first 10 comments is usually something along the lines of " USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION".
FID application has been submitted to local PD, have the 30 day limit marked on calender if I don't hear anything sooner. Transporting the gun to the hunting area in not a problem as all I have to do is walk out the back door and into the state park.
Jim

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I do not own an FID card, and I am from PA. I do not plan on getting one either, since ALL of my firearms were purchased legally in PA. I dont have any pistols here, but I now have all my rifles and shotguns with me.
I believe NJ is one of the only States that requires you to have an FID in order to purchase rifles and shotguns. Handguns are a different story.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
I believe NJ is one of the only States that requires you to have an FID in order to purchase rifles and shotguns. Handguns are a different story.
There are a few others. I think CA, IL and possibly MD. BTW, they use the same model in CUBA.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
all I have to do is walk out the back door and into the state park
You're gonna make a lot of friends on this board!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've always been under the impression that for state residents, the FID card is required for transporting firearms as well. Does a hunting license cover that also?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
"they use the same model in CUBA."

As a Cuban born American Citizen, there is a lesson to be learn here. In Cuba there was no registration of firearms, or any need to have a permit to purchase. When Brother Fidel took over he ask the people to donate the guns to the revolution, and to register their weapons with the local law enforcement in case they were needed to defend the island against an invasion from our friends to the North. As soon as he declare himself a Communist Marxist, he confiscated all the firearms from everyone in the country. Those that kept their guns hidden, when found they were put in jail for up to 20 years. No different then what happen in Australia and Canada, not to mention Great Britain. All register weapons were confiscated by the government. Do you know what the biggest selling item in GB is right now? American made alumminum bats. Is the only thing legal you can have to protect yourself, is that a joke or what??

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Yes - to and from hunting.

The FID card doesn't say anything about transportation.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
PLA930 read the fine prints on your card.

is hereby granted permission to purchase and carry rifles and shotguns pursuant to provisions of 2C:58-3 and 2C:39-5 with amendments and supplements.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
PLA930 read the fine prints on your card.

is hereby granted permission to purchase and carry rifles and shotguns pursuant to provisions of 2C:58-3 and 2C:39-5 with amendments and supplements.
Mine doesn't state 'and carry'.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After a little searching I found the following;

2C:39-5. Unlawful Possession of Weapons.
c. Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

2C:39-6 Exemptions.

f. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:
(2) A person carrying a firearm or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license;

(3) A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(a) Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

g. All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

So, I guess I can go hunting

2C:39.5 & 2C:39.6

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
To legally transfer a weapon to another individual you must do one of two things:

(1) Fill out a Certificate of Eligibility Form (requires you to have a FID) http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-634.pdf

or

(2) The individual who is "lending" you the weapon must be present with you while engaged in the act of hunting. (Evan Nappen - the NJ Gun Lawyer - confirmed this for me a few years ago. You can double check me on this, but I'm sure you will find this to be a true statement. Weapons owned by a family member/friend and that are transfered to you any place else other than in the field where they are hunting with you, are considered illegally transferred.)

For individuals who purchased a firearm prior to the requirement for individuals to possess a FID, your hunting license will allow you to transport a weapon directly to and from your hunting activity or target range, as noted above.

I hope this clears things up for you.

JT

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
guys I do this for a living, no FID card is required to legally posses under proper circumstances a firearm, handgun ot longgun in NJ if it was LEGALLY purchased out of state. However the burden of proof would be on you.
to hunt no FID card is required, I were to stop you all I would check would be your hunting license, and depending on the circumstances I could also run your serial number on the firearm for stolen. that BTW would not give me the owner.

When Brother Fidel took over
Jefe, I would refer to him more as EL HIJO than brother:D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JT, After filling out forms, what do I do with them, I believe that: I keep one copy and seller/giver keep other? (once I receive FID)

Gunny, there is one thing that bothers me, "under proper circumstances", what does that mean?

Again, thanks for all of the responses
Jim

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.