New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. So I’ve been considering to apply for an fid for a long while now but hesitated because of question 26 where it asks if I have ever been to a hospital or institute or been observed by a doctor or psychiatrist regarding a psychiatric condition. I’ve read many forums of others’ concerns similar to mine, but compared to most, my situation seems minor.
Here’s my story: When I was around 15-16 years old (around 4-5 years ago) I visited a private psychologist regarding an attention issue I had in school and to discuss some personal issues regarding the passing of my father. So then he prescribed me a low dose of adhd medication that I rarely used.
My problem is that I don’t want or think I can get in contact with this psychologist to write a risk assessment note stating that I’m in no risk handling a firearm. Also he is retired and very old by now and i doubt he’ll remember me. Also, he’s an anti and made it clear that he despises hunters and the use of guns. However the last thing I want is to be convicted of falsifying information if I was to state “no” on this question. Also I feel like I’m automatically going to be deemed mentally ill if I say yes when I feel perfectly fine with no interest interest of hurting myself or others.
Anyone know if the police can even access any information about this? I never went to an institution or hospital for a psychiatric matter. And my mom who works in this field informed me that she’s pretty sure my general physician and old psychologist never mentioned any mental records in my medical history ever. Please help.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Do what you want medical records are sealed unless a crime is committed.& a Court orders them open, Criminal Records are Not. Use the GP Doctor for References. \Talk to a Lawyer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do what you want medical records are sealed unless a crime is committed.& a Court orders them open, Criminal Records are Not. Use the GP Doctor for References. \Talk to a Lawyer
So how do people get caught if they say “no” then? I’ve talked to a lawyer but he advised me to say yes and to submit a note along with it but that just seems so excessive to me.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Incorrect. When applying for FID you are giving your consent to have those records reviewed by the issuing agency. Read the Consent for Mental Health Records form SP-66 that you sign.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Incorrect. When applying for FID you are giving your consent to have those records reviewed by the issuing agency. Read the Consent for Mental Health Records form SP-66 t

Stand Corrected
No Brainer just fill it all out if you do not qualify suck it up.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Most of the final decision comes down to your police chief, and how well he knows you. Could be mood of the day, etc... Nothing is ever certain. But they WILL check all avenues, and lying looks worse than explaining a situation.
I don't think todays views on counselling/ therapy carries nearly the stigmata of past generations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Incorrect. By statute he can get a letter of clearance to submit to the investigating agency saying he is able to handle firearms safely
The lawyer I talked with said likely I will still be denied but having that letter of clearance would help during the appeal trial in which I probably would still need a lawyer.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Incorrect. By statute he can get a letter of clearance to submit to the investigating agency saying he is able to handle firearms safely
My friend just dealt with this and all he did was sit with a psychiatrist once after a divorce. Still needed a lawyer and it cost him a few bucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts